Do you like filet mignon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would third anyone who is waffling. For Xmas 2008 I plunked $125 for a beef tenderloin around 9 pounds.

From that I pulled 8 magnificent filets. My two nieces and I did up four filets at rare and four more at medium for their living grandparents and the rest of the family. Just that was pricelss at 125/8 = $15.62 each. Just the tears on grandpa's face, crap man, I scored that year. Those eight were each so tall in the skillet that the bacon didn't reach all the way up. And the nieces will never forget making grandpa cry.

I also made a hash out of the trimmings off that thing 12-26AM, jeez. Just go to your meat counter, find the old guy and ask....ask how much if he cuts big thick crazy filets out of it and dices the rest for you...

Learn to pan roast (brown in skillet, finish in oven) with medallions of pork tenderloin. You won't break the bank if you screw those up.

I do this when I buy a whole filet, last time, I got 4 bags of pieces for stirfry, three massive filet steaks for when we had guests over and 9 smaller steaks.

The trick with steak or any meat from the oven for that matter is to rest the meat properly when you take the pan out of the oven, ten minutes.
Five minutes before serving take it off the resting plate, throw the juices in the gravy pot and flash the steak under a hot grill to just reheat it after the resting period.

Back