Could Kombucha be making me feel like vomiting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spdygonzalez

Reaction score
I made my first batch of kombucha and I love the taste. But I sense that my body doesn't love it. It has been giving me horeible heartburn (6-8oz a day) so I added another 6-8 ozs of coconut water to make it less intense. But last night I woke up at least 5 times feeling like I was going to vomit. I never did but I have always a stubborn stomach in that way that vomiting just doesnt happen for me.
I am a very healthy person & I have been fine in the past with the odd store bought bottle of kombucha.
Any thoughts??? I read something about lactic acidosis...not sure if that could be what is happening.

It's likely not lactic acidosis. LA is a severe condition, often requiring hospitalization.

Are you sensitive to vinegar or vinegar flavors in other foods or drinks?

Your GI system may need some time to adjust to all the new microbes you are ingesting.

And pay particular attention to any molds that may be growing in your kombucha. Anything fuzzy, furry, hairy, etc and you should start with a new culture (IMO).

I do have a sensitive stomach sometimes. But I have never found vinegar to be a problem and when I have had store bought kombucha I have felt good. I looked carefully for any spoiling/mold on the scoby and it looks good. So this is why I am so confused. Definitely heartburn, bloating & last night very close to vomiting. I wanted to make Kombucha because I can't have dairy or wheat and so this is a great probiotic option for me & I thought it would help my stomach...plus it is tasty. But I am frustrated that it makes me feel so lousy :(. Anyone else experience this?

Unfortunately, IMO, the best way to test your theory about your home brewed kombucha is to test yourself again. Pick a day you can spend (possibly) a bit sick. Start in the morning after a light, mellow breakfast; drink a small amount (6-8 oz); find an activity to work on for a few hours to see what happens. If you find that it upsets your stomach again then it may be time to start with a new culture from a different source that has a different mix of bacteria and yeast.

I would try again, might have had some other food illness or just a stomach bug. What brand store bought Kombucha have you had?

Sounds like classic symptoms of an acute stomach or duodenal ulcer that was/is being antagonized by the acidity of the Kombucha itself and/or the increased acid production caused by the probiotic introduction. My absolutely non-clinically-significant amateur nurse opinion is that your booch is fine by your stomach isn't, and likely hasn't been for some time.

Back