can you split a yeast tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobs126

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm fairly new and all of my brews have consisted of extract w/ specialty grain steep. Also I have been direct pitching my liquid yeast with very good results on all of my 12 or so beers. I recently set up an account on Northern Brewer and made an order. I ordered double my recipe to brew on 2 different days. I only ordered 1 tube of yeast to save money. I'm sure I can but I just don't know how to use this 1 tube of yeast for both brews on 2 different days. I've made starters before but I always pitched the whole thing. Not sure exactly what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just make 2 large starters. Use the yeast pitching rate calculator on Mr. Malty to determine the size you will need. For two separate brew days, you could make one starter and pitch most of it, then inoculate a second starter with some from the first.

This is why I love yeast...buy one tube and grow as much as you want.

You do not want to inoculate a large starter with too few yeast though (aka underpitch).

Make your normal starter, but make it about 8 ozs larger than you would normally do.

Once the starter is done, swirl it up and pour off 8 ozs into a sanitrized container, and store in fridge.

When you need to make the second beer, use this saved yeast in a new starter.

how long can you store that second starter in the fridge?

I recommend 6 months, but I've recently revived a couple that were close to their second anniversaries. Both took a couple of days to show any signs of activity.

Latest posts

Back