the stank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLivermore

Reaction score
I live on the 4th floor of a 4 story walk-up.

I left for a few hours w/ the windows open and when I came back, realized you can smell that I brewed today as soon as you enter the first floor of the staircase.

Hope I have some tolerant neighbors.

Should I

a) deny everything
b) offer everyone a homebrew

Can it really be the most objectionable smell? My wife makes fried spam. Wish she would offer me a beer everytime she stunk up the kitchen. Or even better, my mom fries spinach patties. I actually have to leave if that is going on. I seriously doubt they hate the smell of wort or even the fermentation stuff all that much.

Deny it! Some neighbors are buttholes! And will do anything to make life hell! Dont feel bad though everytime someone came to my house they always say whats that smell?!?!??! And im thinking PROGRESS! If they ask you say i dunno i smell it too!

Can it really be the most objectionable smell? My wife makes fried spam. Wish she would offer me a beer everytime she stunk up the kitchen. Or even better, my mom fries spinach patties. I actually have to leave if that is going on. I seriously doubt they hate the smell of wort or even the fermentation stuff all that much.

Ahhhhh spam

Last edited by a moderator:
I brew in my kitchen on the second story of a three story building. When I brew, everyone smells it, but that's a fact of life in living in an apartment building. I would think that if any neighbors seem upset by this, it might be wise to offer them some homebrew-- not because you did anything wrong, but because it's a good peace offering. My neighbors know I brew, and they get the wonderful smell regularly. No one has complained so far. I expect it should be that way for you as well.
As for denying it, that seems a little childish to me.

Back