What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
BSME 2004 from Southern Illinois University. I do design for the Food and Beverage Industry. Also, a cooking/smoking fanatic. I have 2 smokers and a grill that are in year round use. A lot of the engineers I work with are Brewers as well.

I am nothing even close to am egnineer... Mental health therapist... Though like lots of others I have my smoker and grill going all year.

engineer :)

We should define "engineer"... I think people get confused by the semantics of it all.

Is an Environmental Scientist an engineer?
Is a Computer Scientist an engineer?
Is a Sanitation engineer an engineer?
Is a Cook an engineer or a culinary scientist?

I fall into the definition of "Software Engineer" Even though my actual job titles can be From DBA to Lead Software Dude all the way to SR Something_or_other Ananist...

I'm a food scientist. Not a cook or culinary ... My background is chemistry biology and micro bio with a side in engineering and processing plant design

ReDim said:
engineer :)

We should define "engineer"... I think people get confused by the semantics of it all.

Is an Environmental Scientist an engineer?
Is a Computer Scientist an engineer?
Is a Sanitation engineer an engineer?
Is a Cook an engineer or a culinary scientist?

I fall into the definition of "Software Engineer" Even though my actual job titles can be From DBA to Lead Software Dude all the way to SR Something_or_other Ananist...

I would say you need a bachelors in engineering...mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, agricultural, mining, etc...but anything with the former and "technology" afterwards is not

You guys got me, I actually looked it up !

en·gi·neer·ing (nj-nîrng)
n.
a. The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.

Not much help to our purposes though. Although it explains my confusion between an engineer and a scientist...

I know a bunch of people who say "finally, our engineering degrees are at a good use in proving that we are engineers on a forum ":)

I think degrees are useless personally,

ReDim said:
I think degrees are useless personally,

I dont know about that. I have a BSME.... I add and subtract every day. Sometimes I even type words at words to write an email. But without the degree I wouldnt be getting paid for it.... Unless.. Does HBT pay power users?

My degrees are pretty much toilet paper... They are a line on my resume... No-one will hire me just because of them and they did not help me in any way...

Well is an MBA a useful degree ? It's not, a scam!

The skills I use at my job are not the skills I obtained while earning those degrees, infect the knowledge that those degrees gave me is useless for the most part and the very little of it that is actually useful had easier and cheaper ways of obtaining.

I would say you need a bachelors in engineering...mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, agricultural, mining, etc...but anything with the former and "technology" afterwards is not

I would disagree with this, a degree is nothing more than an initiation process and to prove you can handle some type of work load. Just because it says "technology" in your degree doesn't mean you can't be an Engineer. You can get your PE (Professional Engineer) license with "technology" in your degree.

Just my $0.02....

Texas State MBA in Finance / commercial construction project manager. Not really using much of the degree.

Chemical Engineer at a biopharma manufacturer. NC State c/o 2010.

I would agree with the above statements that the experience you have is more valuable than your degree. I've learned 100x more in the past year than I did in 5 years, spending 35k.

However, I would disagree with the comment that degrees are worthless. My degree and education got me my job, hands down. I will say that nowadays, future college students should consider technology or science-based degrees, specifically those with strong industry ties and hands-on technical training (political ties aside, consider what Obama said in the State of the Union last night about the US lacking in tech/manufacturing.

Not knocking liberal degrees at all. I embrace those things and society needs them. But in the present climate, its a lot easier to get a job if you can help a company make a profit.

My 0.02.

Not an engineer ... I am a research chemist but do get involved with chemical engineering projects as well as metallurgy.

msh227 said:
I would disagree with this, a degree is nothing more than an initiation process and to prove you can handle some type of work load. Just because it says "technology" in your degree doesn't mean you can't be an Engineer. You can get your PE (Professional Engineer) license with "technology" in your degree.

Just my $0.02....

I agree with that to some extent. The tech degrees have no where near the math the engineering majors take. Aside from that, even some of the CAD drafters at my firm are better "engineers" than the engineers.

Also, only a few states allow tech majors to get a PE, and usually only mechanical, and sometimes electrical. Definitely not civil or structural. Illinois, where I live, requires any PE to have a traditional engineering degree.

At least at the company I work at which is a rather large nationally recognized firm, we wouldn't hire someone for an engineering position without a traditional engineering degree. Definitely need the math and theory that is taught in engineering classes to be a consultant. I think most tech folks work on the industry side of engineering.

i'm not sure what the connection between driving trains and making beer is- but someone needs to do a scientological experiment and find out!

I have a BS in Marketing, but I have played Engineer at work for the last 15 years. I don't have a PE, so I can't sign documents, but I mainly do development and applications work, so that isn't a big deal. Engineering is more of a mind-set than a degree; I know guys who have Eng. degrees and think like accountants (can't design their way out of a bag). I wanted an Eng, degree but couldn't make it through Calc. 3, so did the business school thing.
A degree is just a way to get in the door at your first job; after that it's how you use your head that really matters.

I have a BS in Marketing, but I have played Engineer at work for the last 15 years. I don't have a PE, so I can't sign documents, but I mainly do development and applications work, so that isn't a big deal. Engineering is more of a mind-set than a degree; I know guys who have Eng. degrees and think like accountants (can't design their way out of a bag). I wanted an Eng, degree but couldn't make it through Calc. 3, so did the business school thing.
A degree is just a way to get in the door at your first job; after that it's how you use your head that really matters.

I don't know what kind of designing you do, but I seriously doubt you are doing electronic design. While my EE degree didn't teach much of the real-world details of design, it did lay a foundation that I rely on every day.

passedpawn said:
While my EE degree didn't teach much of the real-world details of design, it did lay a foundation that I rely on every day.

As did your BS degree. Zing! Hey wanna build me a control? ;)

aubiecat said:
I'm not an engineer but I am in high end CNC architectural design.

So you design the architecture of CNCs, or you use CNCs? I'm a hotshot CNC machinist ;)

So you design the architecture of CNCs, or you use CNCs? I'm a hotshot CNC machinist ;)

Our bread and butter is architectural metals. Building fronts, hand rails, water fountains, restorations of all kinds, etc.
I use CNC router to make foundry patterns to be cast in aluminum, brass or iron. I also have a nice protable 3D scanner I use to help me reverse engineer existing parts.

Right now I am in the process of scanning, reverse engineering and resizing parts for a 33' tall fountain for the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto. Basically, it is a four tier fountain and the parts on each tier are exact replicas of each other but each tier gets smaller going up.

I'm a ME for an Aerospace Company. We design and manufacture fuel management and measurement systems for various rotor-craft, fixed wing, and ground (AAV) vehicles for both commercial and military applications.

aubiecat said:
Our bread and butter is architectural metals. Building fronts, hand rails, water fountains, restorations of all kinds, etc.
I use CNC router to make foundry patterns to be cast in aluminum, brass or iron. I also have a nice protable 3D scanner I use to help me reverse engineer existing parts.

Right now I am in the process of scanning, reverse engineering and resizing parts for a 33' tall fountain for the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto. Basically, it is a four tier fountain and the parts on each tier are exact replicas of each other but each tier gets smaller going up.

That sounds awesome. We do mostly medical and oil and gas industry. Small high precision stuff, basically the other end of the spectrum of a 30 foot tall fountain

That's what we designers like to hear....exact replicas...scaling is easy. We use SolidWorks. What are you using?

Former high school counselor with sixteen years in the public schools. Last thirty years were spent raising wheat and cattle Now retired and so far so good with time to brew!

BSEE Kansas University. Not graduated though.

I made this same poll years ago in a DIY audio forum, and there was a much larger group of engineers. More nerds in there I guess.

That's what we designers like to hear....exact replicas...scaling is easy. We use SolidWorks. What are you using?

I use Rapidform and Mastecam to build my models. Rapidform takes care of the STL files generated by the 3D scanner. Mastercam takes care of the rest. I have wanted to integrate Solidworks into my work but I can't make myself break the learning curve.
99% of our products have an organic fixtures of some sort so practically all my models have to be built with surfaces. Rapidform can generate surfaces right on top of the STL as well.
I occasionally use ZBrush to digitally sculpt parts but I don't get to use that as much as I want to.

That sounds awesome. We do mostly medical and oil and gas industry. Small high precision stuff, basically the other end of the spectrum of a 30 foot tall fountain

Ha Ha, I'm too laid back to do the high precision stuff and they won't let me drink at work. :drunk:
I just do the artsy fartsy stuff.
It's great having access to CNC software and equipment to make custom fixtures for beer brewing. :ban:

Not an Engineer, but work for an Engineering firm: I'm an Environmental Technician.

I also cook but, if you ask me, brewing is closer to baking than cooking.

aubiecat said:
It's great having access to CNC software and equipment to make custom fixtures for beer brewing. :ban:

I'm looking forward to kegging, so I can turn some slick nickel/chrome alloy tap handles

Not an engineer but worked with tons..most of the ones I've met and collabrated with enjoy pints after work not to uncommon.. But it's what brings us together the rich and not so a cold pint at the end of the day does wonders.

Back