Beer too sweet help adding bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintb22

Reaction score
I brewed some Oktoberfest ale a few months ago and it turned out way to sweet. I tried my first 10gal batch with a friend and it never got to vigorous boil. My friend also dropped an open packet of hops and we lost about 1/2 ounce on my driveway. Between the two mistakes this beer turned out way to sweet for my liking. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to try to bring some bitterness in to help balance it out. My idea is to boil 1/2gal of water with 1oz of hops in it for 60min on the stove then dump it into the keg. Will this work or is there a better way?

Thanks

I think a hydrometer test would have been very useful to determine whether or not your Oktoberfest was done fermenting. Did you happen to take a gravity reading? If not I highly suggest you use a hydrometer and track your readings. The readings can be very useful. Good luck!

Back