Bung and fermentation lock popped out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quinny

Reaction score
Newbie question,

Uisng a kit to brew wine in 5 gallon bin with fermentation lock.

Supposed to take 5 days. Added yeast and it was bubbling away nicely when I left it this morning but when I returned the bung and airlock were on the foor alongside the bin.

I've now replaced the bung and airlock and the mixture still seems to be bubbling away nicely.

I am now concerned that the wine will be ruined, but it does seem to be fermenting as expected.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

You are fine, don't worry. There should be enough CO2 production to stop any nasties from getting in.

Quinny,

I think you will be fine, It sounds like you have a pretty active fermentation going and its producing lots of Co2, and I would think that will provide enough security for such a short time the lock was blown off.

Cheers,
Michael

If you're trying to ferment 5 gallons of wine in a 5 gallon carboy, that will happen alot until the fermentation settles down. Do the kit instructions tell you to airlock it right away like that? Most kits just have you cover it with a clean towel for the first 5 days or so, until it slows down a bit.

Back