06.06.06 We should start planning now....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regicider said:
It is terribly bitter. Not very healthy either, I'd assume. (There is a reason for straining the absinthe through a small, sugar-filled sieve or spoon before drinking it. I'd imagine it's the bitterness. The reason for diluting it with water might just be the 70%-80% alcohol concentration. The reason it's forbidden in many countries is likely to be the wormwood.)

The main reason it has been forbidden it that if absinthe is created improperly it can contain wood alcohol or Methanol. Methanol is a fatal posion. Smaller doses can cause blindness. This was a common problem in the late 1800's into the 1900's. Now the process is much more reliable and its not so much of an issue.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before but when is everyone planning on adding the honey? If it's just in there for the fermentables it can be added anytime but for flavor maybe at flame out?

RichBrewer said:
Please forgive me if this has been discussed before but when is everyone planning on adding the honey? If it's just in there for the fermentables it can be added anytime but for flavor maybe at flame out?

I think whatever we decide should be done exactly the same. Batch #2 (I'll be doing one) should go differently if we deem it necessary.

I think we should add the honey at or just before flameout.

Dude said:
I think whatever we decide should be done exactly the same. Batch #2 (I'll be doing one) should go differently if we deem it necessary.

I think we should add the honey at or just before flameout.

That is my thought as well. Might as well try to impart some honey flavor to make this beast even more complex.

Also, I've found the malted rye but I haven't seen any flaked rye. Can someone recommend a good source?

I'm going to be brewing the beast tonight methinks. Only problem I'm run into is that the my LHBS didn't have any rye malt, just flaked, so I may be heading for disaster using 3 lbs of flakes rye :eek: I'm hoping an extended sac rest will do the trick though.

Let's please try to stay as close as we can to the recipe, especially yeast. That yeast is the key to this beer, methinks.

I realize not everyone can get the same ingredients, so that's cool to use what you can. I just want to keep a baseline so we can all compare against each other accordingly. It'll be easier to tweak I think.

which page is the final recipe on? i'll brew one up in a few weekends.

the eidenburg ale yeast is a great yeast, if that's the one for the recipe.

:mug:

Has anyone actually brewed this yet? I plan on brewing it on 666 rather than drinking it then, just because there's no way for me to have it ready on time.

Just got the ingredients today. I was suprised my local HBS had everything except the yeast. Gonna use Wyeast german ale instead. I will brew tuesday:D although I agree with Dude and want to use his suggested Yeast but will do like rewster and do that one on 060606. I wonder what the difference will be? I will let everyone know.

I'm gonna have to put it off until June :mad:

There is just no way I can get it going soon enuff to have it ready by 6/6/6 so I'll just brew it then

what is the Wyeast equivalent to the White Labs Edinburgh Ale yeast? I have never used White Labs yeast, and am not really interested in screwing up this batch. Also, i'd like to get all my ingredients from austinhomebrew.com because of the free shipping. but they dont have all the specific ingredients. would hop pellets be a good substitute for whole hops? also, there are few of the malts that i cannot find, and getting everything in one stop would be most beneficial.

I cannot find the following grains:
8.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9 (steep)
8.7 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4 (steep)

and could only find these as possible substitutes:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...d=124&osCsid=86c0099145b2760ea8275a3153f4d1ac
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_71_112&products_id=116
The first is a smoked german grain, the other is a rye malt, but instead of american, it is german.

Finally, could this be a replacement for the White Labs Edinburgh Ale Yeast?:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=233
It is a scottish ale yeast like the edinburgh... but i dont know enough about yeast strains to compare two different kinds. I figured two scottish ale yeasts would be very similar in style.

I'm sorry if i'm straying too far from the original recipe. I would really like to get all of this ordered by the end of the week so that i can brew after spring break and have it all ready in time. Any and all suggestions will be kindly taken.

deranged_hermit said:
what is the Wyeast equivalent to the White Labs Edinburgh Ale yeast? I have never used White Labs yeast, and am not really interested in screwing up this batch. Also, i'd like to get all my ingredients from austinhomebrew.com because of the free shipping. but they dont have all the specific ingredients. would hop pellets be a good substitute for whole hops? also, there are few of the malts that i cannot find, and getting everything in one stop would be most beneficial.

I cannot find the following grains:
8.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9 (steep)
8.7 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4 (steep)

and could only find these as possible substitutes:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=124&osCsid=86c0099145b2760ea8275a3153f4d1ac
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_71_112&products_id=116
The first is a smoked german grain, the other is a rye malt, but instead of american, it is german.

Finally, could this be a replacement for the White Labs Edinburgh Ale Yeast?:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=233
It is a scottish ale yeast like the edinburgh... but i dont know enough about yeast strains to compare two different kinds. I figured two scottish ale yeasts would be very similar in style.

I'm sorry if i'm straying too far from the original recipe. I would really like to get all of this ordered by the end of the week so that i can brew after spring break and have it all ready in time. Any and all suggestions will be kindly taken.

All of your links to substitutes are dead on to what you need. Order it!!! :rockin:

Changed. Here's the latest:

A ProMash Recipe Report
-------------------------------
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.076 Plato: 18.35
Anticipated SRM: 13.6
Anticipated IBU: 54.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.0 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
13.3 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
13.3 2.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
10.0 1.50 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
6.7 1.00 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
6.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9
3.3 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
3.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
3.3 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 35.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.00 16.6 30 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 3.0 5 min.
2.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Notes
-----
secondary on oak chips

This seems to be the latest in the thread. No one has posted to say whether is was drinkable or not though..

I have been thinking about this for quite some time now and I'm thinking about making it again.
Hands down my version of this was the best beer I have ever brewed. Unfortunately I can't find the recipe that I used. I'm sure it was very close to Dude's version but I had to substitute hops I think.
The beer had distinct whisky or scotch tones and was very well balanced. This was a beer that got better as it aged. It was at its best 6 or 8 months after bottling.

I might try a 3 gallon batch just to see how it turns out as I have limited space in our apartment for brewing.

Dude, where ever you are, thanks once again for this epoch HBT beer!

I have been thinking about this for quite some time now and I'm thinking about making it again.
Hands down my version of this was the best beer I have ever brewed. Unfortunately I can't find the recipe that I used. I'm sure it was very close to Dude's version but I had to substitute hops I think.
The beer had distinct whisky or scotch tones and was very well balanced. This was a beer that got better as it aged. It was at its best 6 or 8 months after bottling.

I might try a 3 gallon batch just to see how it turns out as I have limited space in our apartment for brewing.

Dude, where ever you are, thanks once again for this epoch HBT beer!

I didn't make that beer, but I made a few others (like the 7-7-7). I remember you saying that your 666 was great but I don't think I tried it.

I didn't make that beer, but I made a few others (like the 7-7-7). I remember you saying that your 666 was great but I don't think I tried it.

Some HBTrs brewed 07-07-07 for the 2007 homebrew conference here in Denver. I don't remember the details but mine was served from the keg and I think brewpastor's was served through a Randall. Both good beers but the Randall made the beer very grassy by my taste. wish you could have been there Yooper. We really had a great time that year.

How's this for a blast from the past?!

I've been making variations on this beer most years for my birthday. Drinking one right now in fact. It is one of the best beers that I have made, especially so on tap.

This year's batch came out to 9.3% (hence the half pint pour). It's a kick in the pants, but super smooth. The honey and the oak are both very present, but distinct.

Is anyone still around on this site from the original recipe formulation?

Imperial Hellfire 2017.jpg

I "talk" to Dude on Facebook- he's brewing today as a matter of fact.

I "talk" to Walker as well, but he doesn't brew anymore as far as I know.

I haven't seen Pumbaa since about 2009(?) when we had a beer together in Milwaukee.

RichBrewer pops in and out now and then, as I recall.

I've lost touch with the rest of them.

Back