Johnson control probe in thermal well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushingblackdoom

Reaction score
Hey gang.
I'm converting a sanke keg into a 10-12 gallon SS fermenter. My welder buddy is installing a 6" deepX 1/4" diameter side-mounted thermal well, in which I plan to screw in my thermometer in order to monitor ferm temps.
Was thinking I could test it out by sticking my Thermapen probe into the well while beer is actively fermenting, see if I get an accurate reading. That'd be real cool !

My question: If I were to get a Johnson temp probe in the thermowell, instead of a weldless thermometer, would I be able to control ferm temps OUTSIDE of a closed ferm-chamber?

I'm very lucky my basement stays around 65*F ambient most year-round, but I want to know if the Johnson controls only really control temps in a controlled environment like a keezer or closed fridge?
Any info and guidance is of course very greatly appreciated. You HBTers are the salt of the earth!

Um....huh?

You need a controllable environment for any temperature controller to do anything useful. You can't just drop a probe in a vessel, plug in the controller, set them both out in the yard, and expect anything good to happen...

Cheers!

Thanx, daytrippr, I didn't think so. I know it's a pretty novice question, but, bless this mess, HBT knows. I can't think of my rad, cooool basement as a "controlled environment". Even though it is rad and cooool. But not always the same exact temp. Until I find a free/cheap fridge, it's American ales & saisons this summer! Could be worse ;)

All the temperature controller does is turn the fridge/freezer/fermentation chamber/kegerator/etc on and off when the interior temperature is outside the set parameters. Without a chamber of some sort, the controller is useless. The controller itself does not do any cooling or heating.

Back