scum on top of mango wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wohlichen

Reaction score
i made this wine on oct 30 sat in the primary for 24 hrs and added yeast
i was out of town for a few days and just opened the primary this morning to stir the wine and it had a nice layer of yellow scum sitting on top
i'm not sure if it is just mango pulp or if it is contaminated
thumb1_img_20121104_092015-57117.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
i ended up skimming the scum off the top and degassing anyhow the gravity is only down to 1.080
i don't know if it didn't drop more because i havn't been here to stir it or if something else is going on
thanks for any input
my recipe follows

2 quarts organic natural mango nectar
1 can of orchard apple rasp concentrate
2 quarts of water
1 lb and 6 oz of sugar brought the gravity to 1.092
1campden tab
1 3/4 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tanin
1 tsp yeast nute DAP

That looks like pulpish dense stuff hun. I get that even with fresh strained fruits. Then again I am only on my 7th batch ever. Personally I would have just punched it down :)

I started a 1G batch of mango wine following a recipe online and I have had a lot of this scum on my wine and still have it after almost a month. I want to rack it to secondary but not sure if I should. Can anyone tell me how to fix this and if I should rack it. I looks very pulpy and think. My wine is also a similar color to yours as well. I have gotten some mango concentrate in case of need for back sweetening.

I started a 1G batch of mango wine following a recipe online and I have had a lot of this scum on my wine and still have it after almost a month. I want to rack it to secondary but not sure if I should. Can anyone tell me how to fix this and if I should rack it. I looks very pulpy and think. My wine is also a similar color to yours as well. I have gotten some mango concentrate in case of need for back sweetening.

Rack when you get to 1.020 or below. Stir until then, to break up the crud. Stir twice a day or so, vigorously.

Back