Free pepper seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything not crazy hot? I'd love to go after some hot peppers in my garden this year.. I like to use a little with my smoked meats in sauces/rubs etc but can't handle the real manly stuff. I usually stick to Scotch Bonnets.

This offer is now closed.

All who got seeds, when they grow up into burning peppers, please post some pictures. I love to see some pepper pron

Got 'em, now just waiting for my spring break next week to get them started.

thanks again

Ryan

Sorry my friend they were Bhut, Datil and others

Just wondering. I grow hot peppers and have grown the Bhut peppers. I made hot sauce and dried flakes with them...enough to last forever. Very productive plants, very tall, biggest pepper plants I have ever grown. Big peppers too.

So I thought growing superhots was supposed to be hard. What I had labeled as "Bonnie World's Hottest" just sprouted after 3 days. I cut disks of 3 sheets of paper towel topped with a piece of unbleached coffee filter (I don't think unbleached matters, but the brown helps make the white roots stand out). I then wetted the disks, and put them into petri dishes I got form American Science and Surplus (a tupperware or one of the 2oz plastic cups you get condiments in would also work). The dishes then went into my custom germination chamber (newspaper boxing in the space around the cable box).

Left dish: Naga Morich, Red Fatalii, Bhut Jolokia, and Red Bhut from Clann. Right Dish: Bonnie from Clann. Traveler Jalapeno, Black Hungarioan, Bulgarian Carrot from SeedSavers.org
AllSeeds.jpg

Bonnie Sprouts
GerminatedBonnie.jpg

Germination Chamber
GerminationChamber.jpg

Eagerly awaiting my seeds... can't wait to start growing them. I've got a bunch of habanero's sprouting right now. I'm hoping I have better luck in my gardening efforts this year. Last year we had just moved into our house and I didn't have my compost pile ready to use for the growing season.

This year I have a good amount of compost ready and I've already started getting the soil ready for planting.

I have Datil, Naga Morich and Bonnie growing. They all have their first leaves. Still quite small and slow growing. I'm home all day, so I can move them out to get full sun, and bring them in before it gets cold. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Here you go. Sorry for the crappy pic quality. My camera kinda sucks. I ended up with three each of Datil and Naga M. and four Bonnie. I'll keep two of each and pass the leftovers to a friend.oven 117.jpg

oven 118.jpg

oven 119.jpg

oven 120.jpg

Just planted on 4/16, so I finally have some photos of all of my plants sprouting up!

Here you can see seedlings of at least three Datils in the back, the Naga Morich front-left, and Brain Strain front-right. I was amazed that they sprouted so quickly! I've heard that super-hots tend to take longer to germinate, some 30 days or more. These were up in about a week or less.

Garden2012-06.jpg

I also have some Mucho Nacho jalapenos growing (middle row of cells) and red habaneros, as well (front two cells):

Garden2012-07.jpg

Off-topic, I also have a mess of tomatoes growing...

Garden2012-08.jpg

...as well as loose-leaf lettuce and beans...

Garden2012-09.jpg

...and okra:

Garden2012-10.jpg

Should be an interesting garden this year.

Very nice!! I hope you get enough good days to harvest.
Some of my supers germinated very fast too. Must gonna make good plants, right?

I just got mine in the ground on saturday. 25 or so different variates of peppers:D and a couple different kinds of tomatoes. I think my wife got a couple of cucumber plants as well.

I do about 70 hot pepper plants every year (for hot sauce) for the past 5 years with about 40-50 tomato plants and about 30 eggplants but this year cutting back on the eggplant.....just can't eat that much and a bother to give away. Then we grow just about everything else in the rest of the garden.

Yep, I was really surprised that they germinated so quickly. I didn't get all of the seeds to come up, but that's fine. I don't have room for a ton of plants in my garden. It's just a 16'x4' raised bed.

I'm thinking I may pot at least one of the Datils, so that I can keep it over the winter. Although, I don't have a south-facing window. So putting it somewhere that it gets enough light may be difficult. And I really don't want to run grow lights all winter.

Shouldn't be a big deal, since I plan on saving seeds from all of my peppers anyway. I can always replace them if they die over the winter.

Ok, well my plants are all producing nicely. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with all this heat! Also, like an idiot, I forgot which plants were which. I've got red, yellow and orange peppers. Datil, Naga Morich and Bonnie.

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

oven 443.jpg

oven 439.jpg

With the drought here then almost constant rain following this summer I got hit hard with blossom end rot on both tomatoes and peppers. Good thing I grew a lot of hot peppers and got ripe ones early to make my hot sauce reserve for winter because now just about every pepper has rot even the new ones. Normally this time of year I am picking hundereds every other day now almost none. Bell peppers are a total loss at this point, again good thing I got some early on to stuff.

Back