Recommendations for a late summer ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigliver

Reaction score
Good-day,

I have 19KG of of Vienna Malt left over from a previous brew and I just picked up a 25KG sack of Gambrinus the other day because it was on sale.

Any recommendations on what I can do with this combination? I am looking to create a nice clean ale with just a slight bitter hint to keep things interesting.

Thanks!

bl.

Gambrinus what? Pale/pils etc... How about a crisp bready kolsch with extra Vienna?

I'd make the grist 50/50 vienna and pale and add 5% carapils with an OG of about 1.050. Then I'd bitter it to about 21 IBU's with a noble hop (I like spalter for bittering), skip the late hop additions and let the vienna do some talking. Ferment with either kolsch or ordinary ale yeast and I bet that batch won't last you very long.

4.75# vienna
4.75# 2-row
.5# carapils

1.5 oz spalter (4.1%) - 60 min

Well, at least that's what I'd do :D.

Hmmm, nice markg.

I have some chinook hops left over from a somewhat failed, yet potent, experiment. How do you think they would fair in such a brew?

Most batches don't last very long. I am thinking the beer gremlins are knocking me on the head at night and stealing my beer because I wake up in the morning with a mild, yet satisfying headache.

i personally hate chinook hops and the character they bring to beer, but i know i'm in the minority on that one. it'll be different than noble, but it won't wreck the beer or anything... just do the alpha acid math and keep the bitterness low.

Back