Do caps need to be sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I just got some caps and I was curious if I should throw them into the bath of Onestep before I go to cap my bottles? I am cleaning everything else, so why not? Any thoughts for a 1st timer bottling?

You spent all the money and time to make your beer, why would you risk it by not sanitizing your caps? Give those babies a dunk in some sanitizer.

There are folks that don't sanitize but I don't know why. A cup full of sanitizer to hold the caps while bottling doesn't seem like very much work to me.

I just lay mine out on the dishwasher door where my child slave labor brewing assistant is filling bottles and spray them down with starsan. I lay about 10 at a time out, spray them all down, shake them out as I pick each one up to put it on the bottle and cap it. No gushers for me yet (knocks on wood).

Make sure however to only sanitize the amount that you need, or dry the others well. I sanitized all of the caps that came with my beginner kit but only used about half, the others went into a baggie. When I went to bottle my second batch they were all rusty.

I have mine in a small mixing bowl with star san floating right next to my air lock. Take'em out one at a time and crimp'em on the bottle.

yeah make sure to look at them after boiling, like they said the plastic seal can be ruined, but it hasn't happened to me with a quick boil.

Do not boil the caps! Back in the day when they used rubber, boiling would soften the rubber for a good seal. Now the caps are made with plastic and boiling will distort the plastic and you may not get a good seal.

IMHO, absolutely sanitize your caps. I've had one infection in 20 years. I didn't sanitize my caps once. I had to learn the hard way.

I can understand not boiling your caps. A quick dunk in solution would be fine.

Joe

I use Iodopher (used to boil) but I'd bet their just fine right out of the bag. I can't see how they could be contaminated. I also have found that it is very difficult to contaminate green beer anyway.

Don't boil them if you get the oxygen absorbing ones that eat the oxygen in the headspace. It'll ruin them. Soak them in star-san.

And considering the oxygen absorbing ones only cost like a penny more per cap, why would you not get them?

I don't have access to Star-San, I don't have access to oxygen absorbing caps, and I have not had an infection with my caps, which I don't sanitize. Usually, my beer doesn't keep that long, anyways. Damn stuff evaporates way too quickly, forcing me to brew more.

Back