12oz vs 22oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leggoma

Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference in how the beer develops after bottling between 12oz and 24oz bottles? For my first batch, I bottled to both, and I swear there was a subtle taste difference when between the two. I cracked open a 22oz after killing a few 12oz'ers, and needless to say I was a little buzzed at the time. Plus my beer palate is probably not as refined as an experienced brewer, so I'm just wondering if it was all in my imagination. I would recreate the experiment, but I'm out of 22oz bottles (gave most of them away to friends/family).

On a separate note, the first brew was pretty tasty, and everyone who tasted it was pleasantly surprised, to include my non-microbrew, Miller drinking father inlaw. The only problem is that the batch size only came out to be 3.5 gallons at bottling and I'm almost out! I'm going to hide the last 4 in the back of my beer fridge to drink in like 6 months.

I haven't heard of any difference in tastes so I don't know anything about that.

Instead of storing your last 4 in your beer fridge I would recommend keeping them out in room temperature to let them keep aging. Once you put them in the fridge it drops the temperature down to below where the yeast like to live and will probably stop the aging process.

I had a similar problem with my first batch in that when it got to bottling time there was only about 3.5-4 gallons instead of the supposed 5 gallons.

I've only bottled in 12oz. bottles so far, but I got some plans to put some big brews in bombers. Will keep an eye on on this thread so hopefully we can both learn something. :p

I bottled my first batch in 12-ozers as well. I plan on bottling in 22-ozers for my second batch (a IIPA currently in fermentation).

22 oz FTW

Bigger sizes mean less bottling and they usually look better IMO. Labels can be bigger and 1 22oz can make a nice gift. No idea on how it can affect taste though

I bottle in a combination of both, just what I have on hand. Have some 1L flip tops also, but I tend to save those for high grav or special flavored beers.

22 Ounce bottles will take longer to fully carbonate.

Once of the contributing factors to beer carbonating in a bottle is the amount of headspace relative to the amount of liquid. CO2 will continue to be produced and escape into the headspace…once sufficient pressure is achieved, that CO2 in the headspace then gets reabsorbed into the liquid…and the process continues until all residual sugars are essentially converted. Think of the headspace as the “staging” area for CO2 production. Since there is less headspace relative to a 22 ounce container than a 12, it takes longer for this process to complete.

That said, I like 22 ounces bottles for convenience, but remember that a 22 ounce bottle will require more than one pour and this can unsettle the yeast in the bottle…a detriment if you want a crystal clear pour.

In my experience, a 22-oz container will condition more slowly. This has only been apparent to me with beers that are really slow-conditioning anyway, like my red ale that I screwed up. It had some pretty significant heat-related off flavors that disappeared from the 12-ounce bottles WAY before they left the 22s.

I'll bottle 2 cases of 22oz bottles and put the rest in 12's. usually between 6 and 10, depending. I have yet to notice a difference in taste. The only difference I have encountered is that the 22oz bottles fill my glass stein and the 12oz'ers don't... :mug:

I have done both 12 and 22 oz bottles. About the only difference I have seen is the big bottles take a few days longer to carb. They do save bottling time (less bottles to sanitize,fill,cap). Somehow I seem to run out of beer faster though:drunk:

I quickly gave up 12s and only bottle with 22s - with one or two 12s to "finish off the dregs." I do not notice any difference in flavor or carb times.

22 oz bottles means bottling in roughly half the time, and they don't take up as much floor space when conditioning.

Really, the only downside I can think of with 22s is something Biermuncher mentioned. It IS easier to stir up yeast sediment on a 22 oz bottle, since it usually requires more than one pour. However, this can be mostly overcome by paying attention to this fact and being carefull.

Pez.

A normal bottling wand will work for any size bottle if it's long enough. The wand naturally leaves more head space for bigger bottles because the larger bottles are taller.

I use 12oz, 22oz and 750ml bottles and I don't get why people so often say they put their big beers in big bottles. I do the opposite. I'll gladly drink 750ml of a session beer in a sitting, but who wants that much barleywine unless you have a big group together?

I regularly use both 12oz and 22oz bottles with no noticeable difference. The 22 ouncers might take longer to carb up but by the time I get around to drinking them I have never noticed a difference.

Yeah I am in with the 22oz crowd too! I rarely drink one 12oz'er and three is too much.
I have 2 imperial pint glasses that fit a 22oz just perfect (cannot leave much head on the beer though).

I always keep a case or so of 12oz for tasters and competitions.

I have not noticed a taste difference between the 12 and 22 ouncers. That said, I went and bought some 25 oz. mugs at the dollar store so I can consume my 22 oz beers with one pour.

Is there a noticeable difference in how the beer develops after bottling between 12oz and 24oz bottles? For my first batch, I bottled to both, and I swear there was a subtle taste difference when between the two. I cracked open a 22oz after killing a few 12oz'ers, and needless to say I was a little buzzed at the time. Plus my beer palate is probably not as refined as an experienced brewer, so I'm just wondering if it was all in my imagination. I would recreate the experiment, but I'm out of 22oz bottles (gave most of them away to friends/family).

A larger volume sized bottle usually needs more time to carb AND condition. I have some pints, 22 oz bombers and other sizes that I often use, but since I enter contests I usually also do a sixer or two of standard 12 ouncers for entering. And inevitably the 12 ouncers are done at least a week faster than the larger bottles....some times two weeks ahead of time...

Also the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a normal grav 12 ounce bottle....to carb and condition....It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

Big Kahuna gives a good explanation here...
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

SO yes, in a taste test between a 12 ouncer and a 22 they could taste different, because they are at different points of the conditioning process.

Don't party pigs tell you to use less darning sugar when caring in larger vessels ? Including bombers? I read. That somewhere but not sure if it's true.

Back