is this normal ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msnewbee

Reaction score
friday i made my first batch, made shure every thing that touched the batch was sanatised, got it transformed in to the priamary, an hour or to went by, it really started formenting good, bubbling like crazy, that lasted a day. now it not doing nothing. the temp is around 68- 70. is it done?

what was your starting gravity? The only way to tell if a batch is done is to tale gravity readings a few days apart and if the number is the same then your beers done. Depending on which yeast you use the beer will finish at different times. Do yourself a favor and if you dont already have a hydrometer- get one.

a 2 hour lag time and 24 hour ferment is rather short but I wouldn't say it's out of the norm if there is such a thing for yeast. Did you use a starter? I'd say it's normal if not pretty fast. Just wait a week or so and rack it to a secondary and after a fortnight bottle.

what was the recipe? what yeast?

I'm going to guess "shure", "sanatised", "transformed", "to", "formenting good", and, "now it not doing nothing"

if its a second language, its pretty damn good, if its a first, then, well...

Ooh foreign girls brewing beer! Is this what the dancing banana icon is for? I've been confused about this one.
:ban:

1stly, the sarcasm was was stupid.

Secondly, yeah it's normal. If you've got a good wort (sterile and full of sugars) and a good yeast (strong, happy, randy Yeasties) fermentation can be completed in one day.

A hydromiter reading that is consistent over two or three days is the only way to be sure that fermentation is complete. DO NOT RELY ON BUBBLES IN THE AIRLOCK.

-May the Yeast be With You

1stly, the sarcasm was was stupid.

Secondly, yeah it's normal. If you've got a good wort (sterile and full of sugars) and a good yeast (strong, happy, randy Yeasties) fermentation can be completed in one day.

A hydromiter reading that is consistent over two or three days is the only way to be sure that fermentation is complete. DO NOT RELY ON BUBBLES IN THE AIRLOCK.

-May the Yeast be With You
It may have fermented quick but I would still leave it in the primary for 10 days. If you are in a real hurry then you could bottle it but I wouldn't make it a habit of doing that soon.

"May the Yeast be With You" I like that quote.:)

+1 for leaving it in primary for at least 10 days! The same thing happened with my first batch but it turned out there was just a leak in my primary. I'm a couple weeks into fermentation now and it tastes like an IPA (as it should)! So don't worry, nothing is wrong. Just try to be patient and don't worry about what the airlock is doing!

Latest posts

Back