The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester4176

Reaction score
Title: The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide
Authors: Patrick Higgins, Maura Kate Kilgore, and Paul Hertlein
Foreword: Charlie Papazian
ISBN# 0-684-82921-5
Date of Publication: 1996
MSRP: $14 US, $20 CAD

I was at my local Barnes&Noble yesterday and saw this amongst the other homebrewing books I have. Looked through it and quickly purchased it. The cover claims over 175 beer recipes, and there are....176. 202 recipes if you count the food section as well. Here's the breakdown:

Bitters, Pale Ales, and Other regional Ales: 36 recipes
Brown Ales, Porters, and Stouts: 26 recipes
Lagers: 25 recipes
Bocks, Doppelbocks, Barleywines, and Strong Ales: 20 recipes
Fruit, Herb, and Smoked Beers: 20 recipes
Holiday and Seasonal Beers: 21 recipes
Clones: 13 recipes
Meads, Lambics, and Ciders: 15 recipes
Food recipes cooked with Beer: 26 recipes

First off...this is NOT a how to brew kind of book. It is only recipes, some of which look really good, and I wil be trying at some point. It has quite a few brewers tips and quotations about beer intermixed throughout the book in between recipes as well. At the back of the book is the AHA Style Guidelines, and an index of beer recipes in the book by name and by style.

Every recipe has a description of the beer, a detailed listing of ingredients, and is followed by a paragraph about how to brew it, as well as the OG. All recipes are for 5gal batches, and most are made with extract/grains. There are a few all grains, but it's more of a beginners/semi-advanced book. Even though it's an older book, all recipes are detailed, and call for liquid yeast.

The only complaint I have about the recipes is that they simply list weight for the Hops,and not weight by AA. IE, 1oz of Hallertau, as opposed to 1oz Hallertau at 3%AA. Other than that....It's a great compilation of recipes IMHO. Some of the food recipes in the back look delicious as well. Particularly the Lambic Sorbet, and the Hop-spiced pickled veggies. For $14, I consider it a good purchase.

And for those interested, here's a sample recipe from the book so you can see the layout of it:

Too Good to ESB True:
This ESB is in the true British tradition. Well-balanced malt and hops make this an excellent session beer. The corn syrup lends additional body and a slight residual sweetness.

8 lbs Pale 2-row malt
3/4 lbs Crystal malt(40L)
1 lb Torrefield Wheat
1 oz Chocolate malt
1 lb light corn syrup
1.5 oz Fuggles hops(bittering)
1 oz Progress hops(flavoring)
1/2 oz Kent Goldings hops(aroma)
1 oz Kent Goldings hops(dry hop)
1 tsp Irish moss
1 pkg British Ale yeast
3/4 cup Corn sugar (for priming)

Mash grains for 60-90 minutes. Collect 6 gallons of wort. Add corn syrup and bring to a boil, add Fuggles hops, and boil for 1 hour, adding the Progress hops after 30 minutes and the Irish moss for the last 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add 1/2 oz Kent Goldings hops, and steep for 10 minutes. Cool wort and pitch yeast. Ferment for 5-7 days. Transfer to secondary and add 1 oz Kent Goldings hops. Ferment an additional 7-10 days. Bottle, using corn syrup. Age in bottle 7-10 days.

OG: 1.061

Yup, I've got that book....

I haven't actually brewed anything from it, but It's helped me to understand what ingredients go with what styles....

Brewman ! brewed one of the cranberry ales....I think it was the new england one...and said he really enjoyed it.

Back