I need some ideas.... got any?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwaite

Reaction score
I want to make small batch using wild honey and some wild herbs. I have a bunch of cloves iv dried out. I would like to use a few different kinds and get a nice floral flaver. any ideas on what elts i can toss in there. I live in Maine and have tons of wild flower around.

I would try some lavender, I've had a floral botanical mead and it was really nice, maybe mix lavender and a berry of some type, maybe blueberry! Maybe a cyser with your fresh cloves, cinnamon and green cardamom.

clove is not floral...its very medicinal and a little will go a LONG way in a mead.

Just be cautious with lavender or any flower, give it a lot of attention as too much or too long of a soak will give you a soap like flavor

Yeah this is true, that's why I suggested cutting it with a berry of some sort. Unless you like the soap flavor...maybe brings back memories of your mouth getting washed out for swearing ;) or Thrills gum... I'm in Canada I. Not sure if they have it in the USA.

I make a great mead with nasturtium flowers. It gives a great peppery-floral flavor, with no soapy flavor, much better than lavender for mixing with mead. In my recipe I use at least 2 dozen per gallon, sometimes more. The wild part is that during fermentation the mead will go neon orange or red depending on the flower color selected, but the mead will be much better once the mead clears out.

I make a great mead with nasturtium flowers. It gives a great peppery-floral flavor, with no soapy flavor, much better than lavender for mixing with mead. In my recipe I use at least 2 dozen per gallon, sometimes more. The wild part is that during fermentation the mead will go neon orange or red depending on the flower color selected, but the mead will be much better once the mead clears out.

Does the mead retain those bright, neon colors, or do they fade?
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
Does the mead retain those bright, neon colors, or do they fade?
Regards, GF.

Unfortunately they fade. But that is how I tell it is ready to drink. I have made at least 1 batch a year for the last 5 years and it has always been great.

Hey there I'm looking at having my first go at making mead and was wanting to make one with nasturtium just wondering if you care to share your recipe and help guide me, I was thinking of doing 4 parts water to honey and 10-15% scaling of flowers, how love some guidance, thanks in advance

Back