Carboy aging temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triletter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using a fermentation chamber set at 64* for two weeks and then to the basement for an additional 2 wks (prior to bottling) where the temp can fluctuate from 65 in the winter to low 70's in the summer. I now have the ability to age 5+ carboys long term (got a commercial refrig at a fire sale price). What would be a good temp to set? I have read cellar temps (55), but would like the wisdom on this forum for their thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

We are often reminded that temps affect the yeast production during the first few weeks directly. But if you are going to age beer for a couple of weeks in a secondary, I haven't been convinced it matters what temp you are at, as long as it's moderate.

If you are going to age something for months or years, temps probably have a more substantial effect.

I don't have a cellar, so I always look out for details like this. But I don't know from experience, just from compiling user input.

Latest posts

Back