"Seasoning" my burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk305

Beer Dude in the Sunset
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I had to clean my Bayou burner. It had gotten real rusty and was starting to have yellow flames and was leaving soot on my brewpot. I scraped it and turned it upside down and banged all the rust out of it. Then I sprayed some general purpose spray lube on it, and it looked great. That lasted for one use, then it looked all dry and rusty again. I have nice blue flames, but I didn't want the rust.

I am trying vegetable oil spray now. Just like seasoning a cast iron skillet, I got it hot and sprayed it with cooking oil before yesterdays batch.

It has a nice dark glaze on it now even after a 90 minute boil.

A couple weeks ago I had to clean my Bayou burner. It had gotten real rusty and was starting to have yellow flames and was leaving soot on my brewpot. I scraped it and turned it upside down and banged all the rust out of it. Then I sprayed some general purpose spray lube on it, and it looked great. That lasted for one use, then it looked all dry and rusty again. I have nice blue flames, but I didn't want the rust.

I am trying vegetable oil spray now. Just like seasoning a cast iron skillet, I got it hot and sprayed it with cooking oil before yesterdays batch.

Someone suggested the seasoning trick awhile back so I gave it a try. It's been working really well so far. Silicone spray lube (the heavy duty automotive type) also works well.

I did something similar and just poured some used cooking on it after it was hot and rotated it around to get every surface covered. I've used it about 4 times since then and it still looks pretty good

Back