I think I need a new thermometer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingHorse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I currently use this to monitor my mash temps, but I don't love it. It seems to jump around randomly, and get "stuck" on occasion. Case in point: I'm mashing a Dunkelweizen tonight... got the 10# of grain and water to 152F, and waited. Kept iodine testing, kept seeing black. Looking at the thermo the whole time, and it crept down a little (maybe 1 degree) in 60 minutes. Then at 75 minutes -- wham-o, I'm at 140F. WTF?:confused: No idea whether the initial temp was off, or the last, but there's no way my mash tun (stainless steel pot w/insulation blanket) lost 12 degrees with that kind of volume in 75 minutes (let alone 15). Even without insulation, that wouldn't happen.

Anyone use a good instant-read digital for mash temps? I used to use one made for meats, but I don't think the probe was meant for immersion (eventually it just read 248F, all the time) :cross:

I picked up a digital probe thermo @ Wal Mart for $15. It's got a silicon tube around the wire and seems to be water proof. It hasn't wigged out like the exposed braided types. Great buy for the price IMO.

A thermometer didn't come with my kit, but I got one of those BBQ fork meat thermometers for Fathers' Day a few years ago... l didn't like it for the grill, but its been great for brewing.

I just stick the fork end into a cup of stanitizer solution and use it to check temps throughout the brewing process

Back