When Drying Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beodude123

Reaction score
I've been wondering how to dry my (plastic that came with a kit) bottles. I sanitized them in chlorine solution, and then washed them out with filtered tap water. I set them on top of a table to dry with the lids partially off (enough to not really have an opening, but angeled on there so it could vent some). How do you guys dry your bottles? I'm just starting, and I've read that having good sanitation is the first key thing, so I'm going to start it that way, and keep it as a habit.

Also, is it okay to rinse out the bottles with normal tap water?

Invest in some Star-San or Iodophor sanitizer solution; both are no-rinse, and if a small amount remains in the bottles, it won't impact the brew likle a chlorine-based sanitizer will. Some people love bottle trees, as well.

Best, easiest, cheapest way to dry out bottles......My wife buys some canned foods (like beans, tomatoes,corn) in quantity. These come in a case of 12 cans, all held in a low cardboard tray. When the tray is full of cans, the small openings in between the cans make a perfect place to invert an place an empty beer bottle. The weight of the full cans hold the bottles perfectly, plus each tray will hold six bottles at a time. Leave 'em overnight, perfectly drained and dried bottles!!

Bottle Drying Tree! My wife got me one for christmas and by far one of the best "extra" brewing items I have received.

Automatic dishwasher rack or I have even stacked them on a handwash dish rack(about a case and a half- but now I have a bottle tree)

I agree with the bird. Use a no rinse sanitizer like iodophor or star san. Meet the required contact time, drain and fill.

This may show my redneck side, but home brewers are cheapskates so I know others here have done the same. The dump where I lived had a place to pile old appliances like dishwashers. I scrounged some old dish racks to dry bottles on. Much cheaper than a bottle tree. An appliance repair shop might also have some they plan to toss out.

Back