What's your favorite "I need it fast" beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a 6 tap system. (from 3)and I want to get a few fast beers in there. Any suggestions?

I was figuring a cream ale would be one of them. So I know you can't rush perfection... But I just want a few fill in beers that have been brewed and turned out good with a short window.

Thanks

A few of my favorites are English mild, brown ale, and ordinary bitters. All of which can be ready in about two weeks.

Thanks for the fast replies. plenty of choices here already. I will try to do two batches this weekend.

Thanks a lot!

Any low to mid gravity beer with the fast flocculating English yeast strain. The English ale yeast is amazingly fast fermenting and flocs out clear in a day or two. You could probably ferment in 7 days and go straight to the keg.

I've done my Kentucky Common 11 days grains to glass and it was a hit. Back before prohibition it was meant to be a cheap, quick turnaround beer.

Chalk up one more vote for Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale. It was a huge hit around my house.

I haven't made Orfy's mild, but the last mild I made I was drinking on day 14 from a keg. I was probably better on the 3rd week, but still quite good after just two.

I did my Scottish 70/- very quick. Simple grist too at 98% MO/2% roasted barley, hops were only a 60' addition to around 16 IBU, and the yeast drops like a rock. Boiled down the first runnings to a syrup. Was drinking around 11 days too, I think, and it could arguably be the best beer I've ever made. Keg is going to blow any pint now, I feel.

I've done low-ABV stouts in under 10 days. 65% base malt, 25% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley plus a handful or so of acid malt. Tiny amount of bittering hops and ferment with dry English ale or similar.

Complex it ain't, but it's fast and good for breakfast.

any nut browns that can go in about 3 weeks? or others, i have 3 weeks till halloween

If you're kegging you can have pretty much any beer (certainly any nut brown) ready to drink in 3 weeks. Ferment for ~ 20 days, then quick carbonate for a day or two as described in this thread (I'm a fan of setting at 30 PSI for ~ 24 hours, or 48 if you're starting with room temp beer, no shaking required, and then dropping to serving PSI) and you're ready to go. If you're trying to do bottle carbonation in that time, might be a bit more of a stretch but you could ferment for ~ 10 days and see if your FG has stabilized, then bottle for ~ 10 days and hope you get full carbonation.

But you might want to check your calendar, I'm seeing only 16 days until Halloween. I think you can still get great beer in a keg that quick (ferment for 14 days, quick carb for the remaining two days), but am not so sure if you're trying to bottle carb.

A Hefe would be a good option. My preferred fast turnaround is a Bitter or Mild. I normally do 3 weeks primary, but I could go less (I wouldn't personally go less than two weeks primary, but you could do it), then prime low in polypins (1.4-1.5 volumes seems to be the sweet spot), allow to carb for 5 days, chill to the the high 50s, and tap the cask. Or force carb is an option. But English beer plus cask is the best thing ever.

Cream Ales with Nottingham yeast came out pretty quick for me.

So I'm doing a nut brown ale tonight and doing a sweet water ipa clone anyone have a good recipe for that my local homebrew store only had the Sweetwater 420 recipe so I bought the grain for that. I'm going to be busy doing them both in line of each other :)

+1 on the simple stout
+1 on EdWorts haus pale ale.

I do them both when the pipeline is low.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed up my Columbus day ipa and a nut brown last night

1413465323733.jpg

1413465346916.jpg

1413465374102.jpg

Is your Columbus Day IPA a quick cycle?

I haven't made an IPA yet but I have a kit for Blind Pig and I thought it was a slow cycle with lots of time in fermenter/secondary.

Probably but I'm just going to let it go as long as it can and filter and keg, it was a clone of sweetwater 420 that I modified by adding columbus hops and a mystery hop that I didnt know what it was from the exrtra's lol.

I turn around English Milds and Bitters in 8-10 days. I've done some american pale ales like that. An Irish Stout is pretty quick. Belgian Patersbier or a table Saison can be done in 10-14 days.

I brew a lot of session beers.

I've done several batches of this and I really like it. I usually keg it after 3 weeks. I just kegged a batch last weekend. It's a take on a Mild/Bitter.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/pretty-ordinary-australian-english-bitter-462468/. I use wy1469.

It's a really good recipe. Give it a try.

Just watch your IBUs. Pride of Ringwood hops in the US are not the same as Pride of Ringwood hops in Australia. I found that out the hard way. :D

A simple full extract Bavarian wheat.
10 days, 20 dollars, 4.5 hours of work (depending on how many "inspiration" beers I have while brewing and bottling...), 5 gallons of beer. pure awesome.

Doing DME allows me to brew quickly after work on a week night and I have full carbonation and easy drinkability 10 days after brewing. A slice of citrus (I prefer pink grapefruit) and life is good. Perfect for when I need beer but don't have time to do a full grain .... rather home brewed DME than over priced mediocre store bought.

6 LBS Breiss Bavarian Wheat DME
1oz German Hallertau
1 package Safbrew S-33 Dry Wheat Yeast

Get DME mixed into boil water (I use 2.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch size).
Once fully mixed and roiling boil is reached the hops are added as a 60 minute addition. Yeast starter is made and pitched per usual. Bottle a week later and priming sugar is added to reach a 3.9% carbonation rate (or about 1.03 lbs of corn sugar at 65 degrees). After three days I have a nicely carbonated, very approachable beer. Not only is this super fast, but the batch cost is only about $20 at my LHBS. Cheers!

Back