First Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
I made my first starter (1 liter) last night with WLP051 Cal. Ale. It is sitting on the stirplate looking good.
I am brewing tomorrow (sat.) later in the day. I planned on pitching the entire starter since it is only 1 liter.
Should I just leave it on the stirplate at room temp until I am ready to pitch or should I turn the stirplate off at some point, and give it a chance to "rest?"
Thanks.

You don't want the yeast to 'rest'....Hell, you want them up and running!! If your gonna dump the whole thing you can just let in spin until you pitch. I usually turn off the stirplate when I get up brew day. By the time I'm ready to pitch it's settled pretty good and I'll decant most of the beer off. Either way.....your fine.

Thanks. Is it recommended to decant? Or is that only if you are making big starters?

Personally, I stop mine the morning of brew day to let the yeast settle in the bottom of the flask. I decant off the "starter beer," so I don't want them flying around in there. I want them nice and "relaxed" before they do their job.

Well, if you taste your starter it ain't too yummy. While 1 liter probably won't mess up the flavor of your beer...I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've never pitched the whole starter before but some on here do regularly. When I first started making starters I would cold-crash them to get the yeast to settle but I find I get a much faster fermentation start from skipping that step and just carefully decanting most of the liquid. Even if you decant half....it can only help. Like I said earlier....you'll be OK either way.

Back