Partial mash vs extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
Why do people switch from extract brewing to partial-mash brewing? Is partial-mash cheaper? Does it make better beer?

Partial mash is kind of an in between step between extract and AG. Some people use it as a way to learn the AG methods, others don't have the space or equipment for AG so its the closest they can get.

You can make great beer with either method, but partial mash gives you more freedom and control over what goes into it

I'm a partial masher who started as an extract brewer. I do it for four reasons (in no particular order):

1. To learn mashing/sparging/lautering techniques on a small scale
2. To add a "fresher" malt flavor to my beer (this could be debated)
3. To use grains that must be mashed, for which there is no extract available
4. To feel a bit more connected to the brewing process instead of just dumping ingredients together.

On the whole, I like it, but it is a bit more work and lengthens the brew day compared to extract brewing.

-Steve

Partial mash is simply extract brewing with one extra step -- you steep a bag of grains at the beginning. Everything else is the same. With the wide variety of specialty grains available, adding this one very simple step (requiring zero extra equipment) can give you a lot of flexibility in terms of the flavor of your beer.

It really is a small leap. In fact, my very first kit was an "extract kit" with a bag of grains to steep. I didn't even know at the time that I was technically doing a "partial mash."

I didn't know until now that I am a partial mash brewer. lol

The least grains I have used is 2 lbs.

Partial mash is simply extract brewing with one extra step -- you steep a bag of grains at the beginning. Everything else is the same. With the wide variety of specialty grains available, adding this one very simple step (requiring zero extra equipment) can give you a lot of flexibility in terms of the flavor of your beer.

It really is a small leap. In fact, my very first kit was an "extract kit" with a bag of grains to steep. I didn't even know at the time that I was technically doing a "partial mash."

PM is more than Extract with steeped grains. It requires steeping at controlled temperatures and using grains with diastatic power (the enzymes to cleave starches into simple sugars).

PM is more than Extract with steeped grains. It requires steeping at controlled temperatures and using grains with diastatic power (the enzymes to cleave starches into simple sugars).

Well, yes. You have to use the right grains, and you have to steep it correctly. That goes without saying (I thought). But it is correct to say that it only adds one step to the process, and shouldn't be seen as anything to be intimidated by. That was my main point.

Well, yes. You have to use the right grains, and you have to steep it correctly. That goes without saying (I thought). But it is correct to say that it only adds one step to the process, and shouldn't be seen as anything to be intimidated by. That was my main point.

I think you are confusing steeping grains and a partial mash. They are different and although not overly difficult, PM does involve more

Ok, so maybe I am not doing a PM. Anyone have a good link to a partial mash writeup to clarify?

OK, I agree with that.

Ok, so maybe I am not doing a PM. Anyone have a good link to a partial mash writeup to clarify?

Here is another good link on partial mashing:

http://***********/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

I used my new 3 gal Rubbermaid yesterday w/ a grain bag using this link as a guide and everything worked out fine. Using 4lbs of grain in the mash and 4.4lbs extract added at flameout, I did a 4g partial boil, topped off w/ cold water in the fermenter and got 5 gallons of 1.050 wort which is bubbling away happily now.

I don't think I'll ever go back to an all-extract brew.

I have always been a PMer. Everybatch i have made has been partially extract, partially steepage of a grain bag. The MLT is now built and so are 2 heatsticks. Im ready for the big leagues.

Deathbrewer has a great write up on here (I'm too tired to look it up so you can all get off your butt and do it yourself :D ) that is a great way to get going in the process. I don't use his method, but it's a good one too.

One thing I like about partial mash is that I started mashing a couple lbs of grains (I just typed that as brains... man, I AM tired) at first and now I'm mashing 8 lbs or so and only using 3 to 5 lbs of extract to make up the difference. I've noticed a great increase in the quality of my beers as I've moved to more mash and less extract.

I don't have the ability right now to do a full boil, so unless I want to use a ton of grain, I need to make up the difference with extract. Someday I'll move up to AG, but I'm completely satisfied with my partial mash brews. Hell, I finished second in the HBT comp with a partial mash APA.

If you can do an extract brew, you can partial mash. It's really not that much harder. If you can read a thermometer and pour water, you can do a partial mash. Once you start playing with different crystal malts, biscuit, special B, chocolate malt and all the other fun options, you really start getting into the creative side of brewing which, to me, is what it's all about.

Im a partial masher myself and what I typically do is set up my recipes via Beersmith and i use a high percentage of base malts and typically use only a pound or so of XLDME...Batches all come out great (well so far...lol)...My set up is a 5G IGLOO cylindrical w/ PVC manifold and ball valve...Turkey fryer w/ 7.5G SS brewpot (Bass Pro Shops)...I warm the cooler with hot tap water for about 15min or so, Mash in, Vorlauf, Batch sparge, Immersion Cool, Aerate and pitch...Efficiency is about 75-80%...Works well for me...I would like to go AG but for now Im much happier than Extract...Gives me more control and I now buy base malts in bulk...2 Row and Marris mostly...

Wow -- that is a fantastic link. I guess maybe there is no single definition of "partial mash" -- that one to me looks like about half-way between what I've seen called "partial mash" elsewhere and a true all-grain.

It turns out there is a whole spectrum between all-extract and all-grain. The choice of where on that spectrum you end up is completely up to you. Take small steps, stay in your comfort zone, and definitely RDWGAHB!

Wow -- that is a fantastic link. I guess maybe there is no single definition of "partial mash" -- that one to me looks like about half-way between what I've seen called "partial mash" elsewhere and a true all-grain.

It turns out there is a whole spectrum between all-extract and all-grain. The choice of where on that spectrum you end up is completely up to you. Take small steps, stay in your comfort zone, and definitely RDWGAHB!

There IS a definition- it's when the grains are mashed. Whether you mash the full batch or only a smaller amount of the grains (partial mash), it's still mashing.

Steeping is like making tea- you're extract flavor and color from grains that are already processed to have their sugars/flavor/color release into water.

Mashing is when you use malts that have diastatic power to actually convert starches into fermentable sugars. The key is to use a prescribed amount of water at a prescribed temperature, and the proper amount of malts with diastatic power to convert. You must have base malt for this process.

The process appears to be similar technque-wise, but they are NOT the same thing.

Ah, OK. I'm new to this -- forgive me, all. There are plenty of posts that refer to "partial mash" or "mini-mash" where they are really just talking about steeping. Some homebrew stores even sell kits labeled like that, but it is just steeping. As always, though, you've set me straight Yooper! Thanks.

[Edit: Also, I now realize that this is what jldc was trying to tell me, but I didn't read his post carefully enough -- my bad!]

I have two reasons for switching to partial mash.
1. Cost savings. Base malts are much less expensive than extract.
2. I can use ingredients that are not available with extract brewing.

Thank you all for your replies! I think it answers my question.But I'll stick to extract brewing until I'm ready to spend more $$ on more equipment...

Thank you all for your replies! I think it answers my question.But I'll stick to extract brewing until I'm ready to spend more $$ on more equipment...

You can do that, and make great beer. I don't want to tell you otherwise.

But, keep in mind that you can also do a partial mash without buying one more thing. When I first started, I used a large mesh bag and my bottling bucket for partial mashing. I lined the bucket with the bag, and added the grain and water. Stirred well, wrapped it up in a sleeping bag, and came back 45 minutes later. I drained it, then poured 2 gallons of hot water over it, stirred it well, and then drained into the brewpot. Voila! Partial mash.

You can spend as little (or as much) as you like on equipment and get the same end result.

Usually the obstacle to full "all grain" brewing is the expense and difficulty dealing with full wort volumes. IOW, to brew 5 gallons of all grain, you have to start by boiling about 6.5 gallons of wort. You usually start brewing with a 3 gallon pot so that would be a pot upgrade. You also usually start by chilling your concentrated extract wort in a sink ice bath. That doesn't work well for a full 5 gallons so it requires a chiller.

The great thing about partial mash is that it's usually the closest an extract brewer can get to all grain without buying ANY new equipment. You are basically starting with lower gravity wort instead of water, when you put your malt extract in.

I used my new 3 gal Rubbermaid yesterday w/ a grain bag using this link as a guide and everything worked out fine. Using 4lbs of grain in the mash and 4.4lbs extract added at flameout, I did a 4g partial boil, topped off w/ cold water in the fermenter and got 5 gallons of 1.050 wort which is bubbling away happily now.

I don't think I'll ever go back to an all-extract brew.

The method in this link also works if you want to try all-grain. A three gallon cooler works perfectly well for 3 gallon batches of beer. I have started brewing this way and I love it.

The other side benefit of 3 gallon batches is not having to worry about blowoff. I have never come close to blowing off the lid of my fermenters with this method.

But I'll stick to extract brewing until I'm ready to spend more $$ on more equipment...

As has been said, the only thing you would need to buy is a large grain bag or a 5 gallon paint strainer (pack of 3 for about $5 at you local hardware store).

See the aforementioned DeathBrewer "Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with Pics)" and see how easy/cheap/good it can be.

I've used his method for 3 batches now - the last one mashing 7# of grain and adding just 2-1/2# DME at the end.

The expense for me to do partial mashes was getting a 2-gallon thermos cooler for around $10 (optional), and using the 5-gallon paint strainer bags for the grains that I also use for hops during the boil. But I can relate to the hesitation to spend more; the lure of brewing equipment can be a slippery slope!

I decided to do PM because it opened doors to a bunch of kinds of ingredients that need to be mashed, but aren't available as extract. A side benefit, though, is that my beers took an immediate quality leap. Using pure LME, I had never once hit my target final gravity, but I did with my first PM batch. Also, the beer was the tastiest yet and had head retention unlike anything I was getting from the extract beers. Oh, and the PM wort smells better than ever before!

As has been said, the only thing you would need to buy is a large grain bag or a 5 gallon paint strainer (pack of 3 for about $5 at you local hardware store).

See the aforementioned DeathBrewer "Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with Pics)" and see how easy/cheap/good it can be.

I've used his method for 3 batches now - the last one mashing 7# of grain and adding just 2-1/2# DME at the end.

I think the thing that has kept me from going PM or AG is the ability to get a full boil on my stove. My brew pot is (I think) big enough for full wort volume, but I can't even get a full boil going with my extract set-up. At least not in a timely manner...

I think the thing that has kept me from going PM or AG is the ability to get a full boil on my stove. My brew pot is (I think) big enough for full wort volume, but I can't even get a full boil going with my extract set-up. At least not in a timely manner...

You can still do three gallon boils with partial mashing. You're just replacing some of your fermentables with grain, instead of extract. You can boil a smaller quantity of wort if your stove can't handle five gallons!

Using pure LME, I had never once hit my target final gravity

I would suspect a problem with accurate measurements, as ME is engineered/lab tested to give X amount of gravity points per pound.

Do not, and I repeat "DO NOT" trust the markings on the side of your typical pail. The only way to get accurate measurements is to use a properly marked kitchen container or other quality instrument to set standards. Pour a properly measured one gallon (or quart, half gallon, whatever) into your pail/carboy and mark each graduation.

You can still do three gallon boils with partial mashing. You're just replacing some of your fermentables with grain, instead of extract. You can boil a smaller quantity of wort if your stove can't handle five gallons!

But how long should it take before I achieve a rolling boil?
If it take too long, am I compromising something?

I'd like some clarification on this, as I've steeped grains for 30 minutes at 155 degrees for a bunch of my extract brews. But I thought that was just steeping grains. I'm looking at a recipe I'd like to try now on brewtoad.com (it is listed as an extract recipe and indeed has 8 lbs. of malt extract as the main fermentable), but it has 1-2 lbs. of grain listed as "mash" instead of "steep", so I am wondering if there is some difference in the two that I'm not aware of. I've made a couple of recipes on that site, so I know it gives you the option to specify between the two when making an extract recipe. Any knowledge here would be appreciated.

I'd like some clarification on this, as I've steeped grains for 30 minutes at 155 degrees for a bunch of my extract brews. But I thought that was just steeping grains. I'm looking at a recipe I'd like to try now on brewtoad.com (it is listed as an extract recipe and indeed has 8 lbs. of malt extract as the main fermentable), but it has 1-2 lbs. of grain listed as "mash" instead of "steep", so I am wondering if there is some difference in the two that I'm not aware of. I've made a couple of recipes on that site, so I know it gives you the option to specify between the two when making an extract recipe. Any knowledge here would be appreciated.

For a mash you need a few things. The right amount of water at the right temperature for the right amount of time and the proper grains that have the enzymes required to convert the starches to fermentable sugars. When you steep, even if you're using the proper amount and temperature of water, if the grains are just specialty grains with no diastatic power (enzymes sufficient for conversion) then you're getting flavor and color but no fermentables. This recipe lists it as a mash because it likely has a mix of grains with some sort of base malt so it can convert and add a little more to the party than a steep.

I know this is an old post that no one has commented on for the past year, but this morning I was trying to understand what the difference was between partial mash and extract brewing. I just realized I have been doing partial mash from the beginning. The kits I buy have ~1lb of grain that I am supposed to steep for a half hour. Now when I use beer smith, I have a better understanding of how to convert AG recipes.

I only feel like have have to make this comment because this forum has helped me out with so much.

Thanks guys

Steeping specialty grains for extract brewing is to extract their flavor and color. It isn't actually mashing since it isn't converting starch to sugar. Specialty grains usually won't convert by themselves. They need the presence of a base malt (2-row or 6-row pale malt) under temperature controlled conditions.

A partial mash uses a small amount of base malt along with the specialty malts. You then mash these at a specific temperature (usually between 148F and 156F) for a specific time like 45 or 60 min. You end up with a small amount of sugar laden wort and then supplement with additional water and extract to get to your full volume. Partial mash is a great way to get some of the benefits of AG brewing even if you have limited gear and pot size.

Back