Fermentation started hot, then ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
I got it down. It's been hot and humid here in Jersey but I decided to brew last night anyway. Made a Smoked Porter that made the house smell great, pitched WLP002 and put it on the cool garage floor at about 74* thinking the temp would drop to the 68* range like usual before fermentation started and I would be good. It didn't - the yeast took off right away and when I checked this morning it was 78* and rising. I put it in a water bath and it's now going along at around 68*. Question is how many fusels and esters do you think were created in that 6-8 hours of high temps. I remember Jamil saying that esters aren't produced until after the first 12 hours of fermentation - is that true? Should I raise the temp at the end to try to get the yeast to clean up the early bi-products?

Actually most of the off flavors associated with high fermentation temps occur in the first 2-3 days. I think that includes the first twelve hours.

Back