Buttermilk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I think I finally got a lacto-bacterial infection. I have a big batch of light ale that has a slight smell and taste of buttermilk or vinegar.

Is this something that will clear up in the keg, or am I stuck with it?

Frankly, I don't think it's too bad, I kind of like the taste.

I bet a drop or two of lime juice would make it better.

:confused:

Vinegar would be a different bacteria than would buttermilk, or so I would think. Also, the bacterias eat different things and can tolerate much different concentrations of alcohol. So, if you've got a light touch of lactobacillus, you will probably be ok as it can only tolerate a small amount of alcohol before it dies out (generally speaking). Acetobacter, which makes acetic acid (vinegar), can eat alcohol and other things which can turn your beer into vinegar...

to me buttermilk and vinegar are very different aromas.

if you have a lacto infection, it might just add a sourness that is agreeable to the palete.

but if its aceobacter, the batch is ruined unless you can drink it fast enough.

It may just be a little green. The batch is only a month old and has only been in the keg since the first.

I'm having a pint of it now and it's not too bad. Bet it will be very nice with a couple of weeks of aging.

:)

Back