Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Nice bitter chocolate right up front with a very slight sweetness behind.
BBD Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

Brew Type: Partial Mash
Style: Stout
Brewer: BBD Brewing
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) (3.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
0.82 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.79 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.21 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.14 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale
6-9oz fat free cocoa powder (see notes) [last 10 mins of boil]
1 Vanilla Bean [split and added to secondary]

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Color: 37.7 SRM
Bitterness: 38.2 IBU (30.0-45.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.80 %

I used discgolfin's Classic Oatmal Stout as my stepping off point, so props to him. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/classic-oatmeal-stout-88634/

I love this beer and get nothing but raves from it. It's definitely chocolate. I think the bitterness is a little higher than the 38 IBU that's calculated from the chocolate. The vanilla been isn't really detectable, but it supports the chocolate and keeps it from being overly bitter and biting. Nice and smooth flavor.

The amount of cocoa powder is up to you. 9 makes a complete dark chocolate overload. 6 is a LITTLE more balanced, but still very dark chocolate forward. The original recipe uses 9 ounces, but lately I've been using 6 to make it a little easier for normal people to enjoy.

Last night I made a float with this and a few scoops of vanilla ice cream. It was fantastic!

Lcasanova has also made a gluten-free version of the recipe for you GF brewers:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/gluten-free-double-chocolate-oatmeal-stout-165489/

Oatmeal-Snout.jpg
oatmeal-snout in glass.jpg

That recipe sounds really good... what was your mash time and temp schedule? You also have S-04 and S-05 listed in the recipe... which one did you use?

Hmmm... it won't let me edit the upper part. It was S-04, but I think S-05 would be great too.

I mashed at 150 for an hour. Spaghetti pot in the oven technique since I brewed this just before I got my cooler.

I have this on the stove right now... I ran to the store while the pot was in the oven for an hour... and they didn't have fat free cocoa powder so I just go the regular hersey's kind... Is this going to hurt my head retention?

It might, but with a double chocolate stout it's kind of expected. Don't let it worry you too much.

Make sure you let me know how it goes. I think this is the first time someone has brewed one of my recipes. As far as I know. :D

Make sure you let me know how it goes. I think this is the first time someone has brewed one of my recipes. As far as I know. :D

My next brew is going to be an all-grain chocolate oatmeal stout that is going to be based on your ideas here. The ingredients will look somethign like this:

9 lbs pale 2-row malt
1lb flaked oats (i might toast these.. not sure yet)
3/4 lb crystal 60L
3/4 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb cara-pils
1/2 lb roasted barley (I may reduce this to 1/4 lb)
1 oz Chinook @ 60 mins
1 oz Glacier @ 5 mins
WLP001 California Ale or S-05 yeast
6 oz cocoa nibs (soaked in small amount of vodka) dumped in secondary
1 or 2 vanilla beans done the same way into the secondary

5.5 gallons into the fermenter

I'm trying to decide what type of body I want for this beer. I'm currently thinking about a medium body and a 154° mash, but I might mash slightly higher but not up to 158°... maybe 155 or 156...

EDIT - 9/15/2009

I did modify this recipe just a little and I will post the update after I have taste tested sometime in December....

Looks good. Pretty close to mine, but different. Little more hop flavor to it. I'd keep the roasted up there, it goes well with the chocolate. But then again, I don't think the nibs will impart as much chocolate flavor as the cocoa powder did in mine, so less might be better depending on your personal taste.

Will do... I was thinking to myself I needed to get to the store this weekend for a vanilla bean, but I just noticed it was 21 days in the primary! I guess I've got some time... Good thing I just brewed a hefe too.... I'll be drinking that before this is out of the primary! I am excited to see how this one comes out though.. OG was 1.071 so looks like i'm right on target..

I'm trying this recipe tomorrow, but as I'm quite a noob I'm a bit confused. Do I add the liquid extract at the beginning of the 60-min boil (which is what I usually do), or the last 15 min of the boil???

The recipe reads:
7.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]

When you have 15 minutes left in your boil, take the kettle off the heat and add your extract. When it's stirred in, put the kettle back on the heat for the last 15 minutes.

I just brewed this yesterday and this morning fermentation has taken off like a rocket! I got an OG of 1.068 so it seems to be on track.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but how long do you let these condition in the bottles for? I'd imagine its quite a while? I'm excited to see how this one turns out!

After 3 weeks it was carbed but had a slight hot alcohol flavor. After 6 weeks that was gone and it was just right.

Was wondering...and keep in mind that I am no where near being able to develop recipes :cross:, what about sweetening this up a little with a bit of lactose?

regardless I am going to make this bad boy in the next few days, if my LBHS has all the ingredients !!

Was wondering...and keep in mind that I am no where near being able to develop recipes :cross:, what about sweetening this up a little with a bit of lactose?

regardless I am going to make this bad boy in the next few days, if my LBHS has all the ingredients !!

If that's what you want, then you could sure do that. I wanted something nice and bitter. I love dark chocolate and will take that over milk chocolate any day, so that's what I was aiming for with this. Not a bitter bomb, but a nice, smooth bitter chocolate flavor. Home brewing is all about doing what you want, so go crazy and see what you can come up with! :mug:

Took my first sample today after one week in the primary. SG is down to 1.024 from 1.068 and it tastes AWESOME.

MgoqyD_N3FrYLY6b95JWyQ

Took my first sample today after one week in the primary. SG is down to 1.024 from 1.068 and it tastes AWESOME.

MgoqyD_N3FrYLY6b95JWyQ

Sweet. When you're getting ready to rack, you can judge if you like the taste as is or if you want to go ahead with the vanilla bean. I found the bitterness from the chocolate to be just a little bit too harsh and the vanilla smoothed it out. Totally up to you and your tastebuds on that one.

Well, I took another sample today (after about 2 weeks in primary) and the gravity is still at 1.024, the same as a week ago. I'm not terribly worried about it because it still tastes and smells great, but I'm just not sure why fermentation has come to a halt before it reached FG. Did you experience anything like this? Thoughts on what the cause might be? Thanks.

Some extracts ferment out more than others. I'd try agitating it a touch to resuspend a bit of the yeast, maybe raise the temp a degree or two and see if that brings it down. If it's the same in a week, then it might just be as far as it'll go.

I just put this in the secondary on Sunday... FYI I did not notice very much activity in the airlock after 2 weeks... I did not put the vanilla bean... mostly because I forgot... I'm going to bottle this weekend... Few more weeks and we'll see how it tastes cold and carbed.

Cheers!

I just put this in the secondary on Sunday... FYI I did not notice very much activity in the airlock after 2 weeks... I did not put the vanilla bean... mostly because I forgot... I'm going to bottle this weekend... Few more weeks and we'll see how it tastes cold and carbed.

Cheers!

Yeah, most of the fermentation is done after a week or so, but the extra time gives the cocoa powder and other crap in suspension extra time to settle out and gives the yeast a chance to clean up byproducts that could throw the flavor off.

It might be a little harsher bitterness without the vanilla bean. But then it might not. I haven't tried it without, so you might end up liking it better without. Let me know how it is next month!

MTL built...ingredients should arrive today and this bad boy is being brewed this weeked!! I've been looking forward to making this for weeks..totally stoked!

I'm going to try this one, probably next weekend. I ordered all the grains, hops and extract today. I swapped out the Fuggles for Willamette, and I think I'm going to use WLP001 California Ale yeast instead of the S-04 (make it american, basically, plus the calculators I plugged it into said the California Ale will get it a couple points lower than the S-04 or 05). This is going to be my second brew ever, and I think it's going to make a good winter warmer!

I can't describe how excited I am to hear about how all these brews come out! I'm dying for some feedback on the recipe and am amazed at how many people want to try this one. :D

Brewed this baby on Saturday. I deviated just a little bit by adding 8oz of lactose towards the end of the boil to just balance out the bitterness a tad. Came in close to the FG with a .067. I gotta tell you this looked like 5 gallons of yummie chocolate milk when i was pouring it throught my strainer into the fermentation bucket. I am stoked about this and will let you know what it tastes like when I take a gravity reading in a couple of weeks

Brewed this baby on Saturday. I deviated just a little bit by adding 8oz of lactose towards the end of the boil to just balance out the bitterness a tad. Came in close to the FG with a .067. I gotta tell you this looked like 5 gallons of yummie chocolate milk when i was pouring it throught my strainer into the fermentation bucket. I am stoked about this and will let you know what it tastes like when I take a gravity reading in a couple of weeks

Double Milk Chocolate Oatmeal Snout :mug:

Ohhhhh man, this is a yummy beer. I brewed this and put it on tap, and I don't think it's gonna last long! It's so pretty, too!

Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely brew this one again (and again!).

Just got done brewing mine. Ended up at 1.065. Probably because I don't have a true MLT, I had to do everything in my pot outside. This brew smells wonderful and the wort tasted pretty good. Can't wait to try the finished product.

I just bottled... let's just say I wasn't disappointed when the last bottle only had about 9 oz in it and I had to drink it! I didn't add the vanilla bean the the secondary and the beer is a bit bitter, but I like bitter... Maybe a little bit of lactose to sweeten it up, but I can't wait for two weeks to try a cold carbed bottle... Thanks for the recipe!

Mine version of it is in secondary. I started out at 1.060 and let it go for 7 days in primary. After 7 days, I was at 1.014 and I racked it to secondary, where I hope to let it sit for a total of four weeks. I sliced open two vanilla beans yesterday and have them soaking in a small amount of vodka. I plan to add that to the secondary during the last week or 10 days. Then the 6 to 8 weeks I'll let it bottle condition is gonna be tough :)

Just got done brewing mine. Ended up at 1.065. Probably because I don't have a true MLT, I had to do everything in my pot outside. This brew smells wonderful and the wort tasted pretty good. Can't wait to try the finished product.

You must have done something wrong because I tasted the wort on mine and it tasted like ass :D

You must have done something wrong because I tasted the wort on mine and it tasted like ass :D

It didn't taste quite as sweet as I thought it would, and there was definitely a bite from the cocoa, but overall not too bad. Definitely better than some other wort I've tasted. :mug:

Back