Bottles not carbing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turner_Brown

Reaction score
Well,

Live & learn. My 10%abv IIPA has been in the bottle for 4 weeks @ 72F. Still flat. Got 80% attenuation out of the American Ale II. I think they're spent. In hindsight, I should have pitched a little fresh yeast.

A couple weeks ago I got a kegging setup. In an effort to save this beer, last night I opened all the bottles and poured them into a corny. Being extra careful with sanitizing and I tried to minimize the splashing/air contact. I am going to take this opportunity to dry hop with a couple more ounces. (Only hit it with 2 oz the first time around and that was a month ago now). I'll let it sit on the hops for about 5 days and then force carb.

My question is...has anyone else had to do this? I'm curious what effect it will have on the beer.

preasuriuze the keg and bleed the air a few times so it only has co2 which should cut down on oxidation. I have heard of people doing this but i have no clue how it turned out. I would purge a few times, shake, purge again and then drink.

I can't offer any advice about force carbing, as I have never done it. But 4 weeks for a 10% beer is not long enough IMO. Big beers need more time. YMMV.

Good Luck,

Id like to know if this worked cause i got a batch of hefe that i messed up while bottling and its just not carbing up.

I did this with a DFH90 batch which had low carb in the bottles. once I got it into the keg, I did purge the head space a few times to force out any O2, and there were no off flavors that I could detect. Then again, that stuff didn't stick around long :mug:

You should have no problem with doing this.

But 4 weeks for a 10% beer is not long enough IMO. Big beers need more time.

+1 I have a 8.5% wee heavy that was in the bottles for a month and I was excited to try it. Very sad that I did. It was flat and too sweet. I put them in my upstairs closet which can reach high 70's, waited another month (yesterday in fact), tried again and it was much better! Still needs to age, but at least it was carbonated.

+1 I have a 8.5% wee heavy that was in the bottles for a month and I was excited to try it. Very sad that I did. It was flat and too sweet. I put them in my upstairs closet which can reach high 70's, waited another month (yesterday in fact), tried again and it was much better! Still needs to age, but at least it was carbonated.

aging and iipa's don't really go together.

It's in the keg now with a new 2oz dry hop addition. I'm gonna let that sit for 5 days, pull 'em out and carb it up. I'll report back.

aging and iipa's don't really go together.

It's in the keg now with a new 2oz dry hop addition. I'm gonna let that sit for 5 days, pull 'em out and carb it up. I'll report back.

you can carb while dry hopping? Just throw the hops in and leave at serving pressure for a week. You should be carbed...

Back