AHS Mozz Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Granted, this was my first kit, so it may be all my fault, but I felt like it could use a LOT more salt.

Best mozz Ive ever tasted, but still could have been a little saltier.

Do ya'll add extra salt to the kits?

Tried this again tonight, this time using 1 tsp of salt instead of 3/4.

MUCH MUCH improved.

It was stretchy, stringy & very yummy.

Just stumbled on this. I search for "Austin" to find threads I should respond to.

You are correct and we have since changed the instructions.

Glad you liked the kit.

We will be coming out with other cheese kits soon.

Any suggestions?

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Id like to see a parmasean kit, but there is a few folks on this foum that say its cant be done without years of knowledge.

Just got my Mozz kit from AHS this week and gave it a go. It was really fun and worked well. I used 1/2G of Strauss milk (i think it was homogenized) and I used 1/2G of Organic Valley non-homogenized milk.

I followed the instructions that came with the kit, including the microwaving. I think I ended up overkneading the cheese a bit because I have quite hard cheese, and I think I preferred the texture before i kneaded it too much.

One thing that I would like to improve is that the cheese has a bit too much "boiled milk" aroma and flavor. Did I microwave too much? Did I overheat the milk? Is it the particular milk I used? I am pretty sure I was spot on with the temps on the stove, but my microwave might be a little hot.

Also, I was unable to make any kind of ricotta with the whey. There was barely any curds after heating to 190F. It was more like a 1/4cup of soupy cheese even after I strained in a strainer with paper towel. Not ricotta-like. Do I need to add vinegar or something? The resultant whey had a bit of a greasy sheen to it, small curds, and looked quite yellowy.

By the way Forrest, the ingredients list at the top of the kit says 1tsp but the actual instructions still say 3/4tsp, so I ended up using 3/4tsp. I scanned the instructions a few times trying to figure out when to put in the other 1/4tsp.

This was quite fun and I look forward to making lots more mozz!

I am on my third Austin Homebrew Mozzarella kit and I also add extra salt. I love the kit and it makes great cheese, but never once have I been able to make the ricotta that they mention in the instructions. Anyone else ever been able to make the ricotta using the recipe provided with the mozzarella kit?

Latest posts

Back