Are you guys for real?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I try not to drink anything mainstream or commercial.
That is kinda where I am too.
I keep buying the Guinness...and the Sam Adams...and I am consistently disappointed.
I ALWAYS like what I brew better than what I buy...and when the local Liquor store rapes you $10 for a 6 pack of Smithwicks....That's better than a third of the cost of a batch of brew.

Also, wine is fantastic, I drink wine as often as I can. The subtleties of wine far surpass beer, a fact that make it both better and worse, or just delicious.

I am curious how you think the subtleties of wine surpass beer?
With wine, you have grapes and yeast, and most wine makers go out of their way to remove any and all evidence of the yeast.

With beer, you have the grain bill, the hops, and the yeast, and you want all three to bring something to the final equation.

To me, there is much greater flavor complexity, and variety, in the beer world, not the wine world.

But again, I am curious to hear your reasoning, and if I am wrong, I will happily stand corrected.

I consider myself something of a beer n00b, but I also appreciate the good things in life. If I'm out and about, I'll usually find myself drinking Sam Adams. Good, not great beer, seems to taste good with most meals. However there's nothing wrong with beers like Coors Light, in fact I like coors light in the right situation. Is it a huge flavorful beer? No, of course not. But what flavor it does have is refreshing and inoffensive. If I'm drinking cheap stuff, that'll be my beer of choice.

Remember, you don't eat steak and shrimp every day. There's a time for the good stuff, and there's a time for the other stuff.

There IS however "bad" beer, and I think heineken (half of them taste like skunk), as well as Steel Reserve and the like are "bad" beers, but BMC doesn't fall under that category.

I'll drink a PBR on a hot day or when i'm freaking poor. but screw those other beers. but you know i can choke down about anything. personally the only beer that turns me off is a bad rauchbeer(sp?). i'll take a Silver Bullet over a bad ones of those.

I am curious how you think the subtleties of wine surpass beer?
With wine, you have grapes and yeast, and most wine makers go out of their way to remove any and all evidence of the yeast.

With beer, you have the grain bill, the hops, and the yeast, and you want all three to bring something to the final equation.

To me, there is much greater flavor complexity, and variety, in the beer world, not the wine world.

But again, I am curious to hear your reasoning, and if I am wrong, I will happily stand corrected.

Subtleness is defined as fine or delicate in meaning or intent; difficult to perceive or understand, delicate or faint and mysterious, requiring mental acuteness, penetration, or discernment: a subtle philosophy, cunning, wily, or crafty.

Wine is more subtle because of the very few variables. A wine maker has grapes and yeast to make his masterpiece, and because of this there is much less variation amongst similar wines, as compared to beer. A zinfindel will taste pretty much like a zinfindel, a cab like a cab. The difference between the worlds best cab sav and a very good cab sav is the subtleties and nuances that the better wine can offer to the drinker.

With beer, we have many more variables to play with, and the flavors are more robust and pronounced. A wieß that has a clove flavor, has just that. The flavor will be pronounced and easily detectable. Now the same beer can be taken and analyzed for taste for an entire night, but the flavors are all more pronounced and easily discernible than a wine (good wine mind you, not boons farm, this whole concept is really based on the assumption you are drinking varietal wine of adequate quality).

That is why wine is more of a subtle beverage, and to many more romantic. Beer and wine both have their place, and I think we should all enjoy them both, as often as possible :tank:

when i;m out i drink. MILLER LITE. I like it, I know the taste & i know i;m not going to get overcharged for "micro brew" being sold by the big named guys. I do have to compliment the large breweres though. they make a quality beer that taste the same no matter where u go in the world. you get a bud in balitmore, japan, england & they are going to taste the same

when i;m out i drink. MILLER LITE. I like it, I know the taste & i know i;m not going to get overcharged for "micro brew" being sold by the big named guys. I do have to compliment the large breweres though. they make a quality beer that taste the same no matter where u go in the world. you get a bud in balitmore, japan, england & they are going to taste the same

You are aware this is a homebrewing forum right?:confused:

Seems odd to want to be a homebrewer if you just like ML. Good for you though if you are expanding your horizons, I think you will be presently surprised with all the wonderful beers you can find throughout the world!

If you haven't brewed yet I would suggest starting with a blonde ale, it will give you a light crisp beer and will not be overpowering to your palate if you are used to light beers.

Welcome:mug:

...no matter where u go in the world. you get a bud in balitmore, japan, england & they are going to taste the same

You just articulated the exact reason I won't by mass-produced beer in other parts of the world.

That's like saying I'm going to forgo the fresh sushi in Japan because I know that a Big Mac is going to taste the same as it does back home. ;)

My favorite beer is the one in my hand, especially if the price is right ;)

I think we have been overexposed to BMC. They have their place and are very satisfying at times.

If all you ever had available was Dogfishhead, Stone, and choose any other IPAs, you might not like to drink IPAs anymore.

Later

i find BMC is great for flip cup, beirut, pong or other beer-related festivities, where the game, not the beer, is the center of attention.

if i'm ordering a beer, i tend to side more with the EAC's. :D

but that's just me.

Do you seriously dislike Coors and Bud...and actually drink Dos Equis and Corona? ...
I dislike them, yes. I've never tried XX and don't care for corona. I'll tolerate BMC if it's what's around but I won't go out of my way to buy any.

...I suppose that it can be easy to make the assumption that homebrewer = craft beer enthusiast...
Actually, I started out as a craft beer enthusiast, and lost the taste for BMC long before I started homebrewing. I got a homebrew kit for xmas because my family noticed my appreciation for good beer. Now I have no excuse to buy BMC. :ban:

Just like different styles of beer pair well with different styles of food, I think different styles pair well with different life situations.

If I'm about to start in this weekend's Snapper 500, I grab a few BL's and ice 'em down on a cooler on my tailgate so I can snag one as I make another lap. In this case, light, cold, alcoholic, screw top, and cheap (for when it spills) are important. Since it will be polluted with sweat, dust, and dirt flavor isn't a big issue. I Love my HB, but no way I'm sporting a mug and making trips to the keezer.*

If I'm at the beach all hot, sweaty, and covered in sand, there's just something about a cool breeze, a thatch roof, a little Buffet, and a Corona w/ lime that just makes reality melt away for awhile.

Finally, I LIKE Miller Lite at a ball game. Is it a great beer? No, and the hot dogs aren't all that great either. But put them all together; The game, the fans, plastic cups full of half-warm ML, a couple of not-so-safe looking hot dogs and you have a thing of beauty.

Now, If I'm at home eating dinner or on the back deck with friends and family relaxing am I going to go snag a BL or Corona from the garage fridge? No way, I'm tapping the HB in the keezer.

I'm glad I waited to post. I couldn't have said this any better.

I'll just add that I had no taste for beer when I was younger and these American beers seemed like the only choice on my budget. I use to complain that they all tasted the same to me. After I traveled to Europe and tasted true variations such as bitters, stouts, cider, etc. I was amazed at the choices. Of course those choices seemed much cheaper overseas where in America they are imports or specialty beers.

So, if it hadn't been for that trip, I probably wouldn't be drinking beer at all.

Today, I mostly agree with the above quoted statement. There is a time and place for most beers. I haven't found the time or place for a Mich Ultra though. <shivers>

I mowed the yard yesterday. 85 degrees and sun beating down.

Dripping wet I walked up to the refrigerator in the garage…reached in for a bottle of water and sitting there were 7-8 cans of Miller Lite (SWMBO’s stash).

WTF...I grabbed one. The can started sweating immediately (I keep this fridge at around 33 degrees).

Popped the top, and in one big gluggity-glug, I pounded the twelve ounces in about 7 seconds.

Crushed the can like I was some sort of super hero and tossed it 8 feet into the open garbage can.

For some situations…a cold can of BMC is just what the doctor ordered.

PS – It was 10:30AM. ;)

I have to give credit to the big commercial breweries for producing a consistent, clean product, especially in a very unforgiving style. They are masters at what they do.

That being said, I've always been a big fan of the little guy. Someone putting everything they have into something they love, and producing a quality product while they're doing it seems fundamentally American to me. They give a crap about what they send out because it has their name on it and it puts food on their family's table, not because it increases the portfolio value of some shareholder overseas. People should buy your beer because it tastes good, not because they've been conditioned to with stupid frog commercials or their favorite NASCAR driver has it stenciled on his ass.

It saddens me when some soulless behemoth of a corporation can have its way with small, family-run businessess because its economy of scale allows it to. Therefore, I'll drink a skunky craft brew over a fresh McBrew any day of the week.

BMC has its place (like the cheapest thing at the bar, or cheap college keg situation). However, if given the choice, I will never buy or order one.

Corona is so overrated its disgusting. I do like Dos Equis though, both the regular and amber.

You are aware this is a homebrewing forum right?:confused:

Seems odd to want to be a homebrewer if you just like ML. Good for you though if you are expanding your horizons, I think you will be presently surprised with all the wonderful beers you can find throughout the world!

If you haven't brewed yet I would suggest starting with a blonde ale, it will give you a light crisp beer and will not be overpowering to your palate if you are used to light beers.

Welcome:mug:
In my own defense i like good beers but i like miller lite also. their is a time and place for everything. I mean do you goto MCdonalds thinking you are gonna get a filet. No. If i go out & most bars in baltimore carry "micro brews" that have been bought out by larger breweries so the beer tastes wrong. So i know i like miller lite & thats what i get but when i get home. make dinner & want to have a beer I grab one of my brews that compliement the food I made.

In my own defense i like good beers but i like miller lite also. their is a time and place for everything. I mean do you goto MCdonalds thinking you are gonna get a filet. No. If i go out & most bars in baltimore carry "micro brews" that have been bought out by larger breweries so the beer tastes wrong. So i know i like miller lite & thats what i get but when i get home. make dinner & want to have a beer I grab one of my brews that compliement the food I made.

I knew it had to be something like that:tank: I was just hoping you weren't looking to brew a BMC-like beer, because it is very difficult to do and not cost effective. Disregard my brew suggestions, I am sure you know what you want:mug:

I was at a wedding over the weekend and they had Bud light, Miller Light, Amstel Light and Corona. Fortunately for me the hotel bar had Sam Smith's IPA and Sweetwater 420 so I was good;):D

I will drink High Life, Genne Cream Ale or PBR on occasion as those still have some flavor

I keep PBR around. I admit I like swill beer. In fact, I'm hunting for a really good light ale to keep around as a house brew since I don't tend to want to drink 8% stuff all the time (nor is it good for the waistline).

I've been known to keep Coors Light in the beer fridge during the summer. On a 100*F day, I refer to it as "canned water" which I drink quickly before moving on to homebrew. Gotta stay hydrated! :D

Seeign as how I'm gettign Bigger and Bigger and Bigger....I may need to consider a Coors Light clone...Really...I rag on bud all the time...cause I hate Bud...not cause I don't like Light American Lager beer.

Seeign as how I'm gettign Bigger and Bigger and Bigger....I may need to consider a Coors Light clone...Really...I rag on bud all the time...cause I hate Bud...not cause I don't like Light American Lager beer.

An honest question with no snark intended:

Why clone a Coors Light? For the price point and time/effort requirements, wouldn't it be much better to just buy some Coors Light? Unless you appreciate the challenge in both recipe and quality standards, I don't see this as something worth putting the effort into.

An honest question with no snark intended:

Why clone a Coors Light? For the price point and time/effort requirements, wouldn't it be much better to just buy some Coors Light? Unless you appreciate the challenge in both recipe and quality standards, I don't see this as something worth putting the effort into.

This is from BierMuncher about my 2.8% 107 calorie Mild, so you can make a tasty(not Coors Light) beer that's easy on the (waste)line;)
Niquejim&#8217;s Mild:

Aroma: Nice and slightly roasty. The smell of &#8220;freshness&#8221; was in this beer. Leaning towards the nutty aroma more than fruity.

Appearance: Very clear&#8230;almost crystal. Color was sort of a penny copper brown. No real ruby hues&#8230;mostly copper. Good creamy head and sufficient carbonation with an aggressive pour.

Flavor: Crisper and lighter than the color might suggest. Clean. No off flavors at all. Well balanced. Some slight nutty tones and a pale chocolate. Finishes dry and clean. No residual sweetness. This beer attenuated very well. Very tasty indeed. A good example of a session beer. Not filling at all. Very little &#8220;buzz factor&#8221; which was good since this was a Saturday lunchtime tasting session. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I&#8217;m accustomed to for a brown mild&#8230;but good. Just the right carbonation (I like them on the low side).

Overall: A good example of a mild. I enjoyed it very much. Very drinkable and well brewed (no flaws). A very tasty beer with little to know alcohol effects.

Anything I&#8217;d Change: Mash it higher&#8230;say around 159 for 45 minutes to preserve some sugars and &#8220;rich up&#8221; the flavor/mouthfeel.

Well done

Just picked up a case of 12-24oz Sierra Nevada Harvest Fresh Hop Ale. I've had the Estate Harvest, but not this edition yet. Should be tasty like the rest of the product line.

I looked at a lot of recipes but I keep coming back to DeathWeed's Texas Summer Ale, I think I'm gonna have to brew that one up at around 1.042. With the munich malt it will certainly have more flavor than a standard light lager.

I went bowling with my father recently. He bought a pitcher of Miller Lite to split between four of us. My wife and I both had a hard time drinking our one cup down (guess I've rubbed off on her a bit :ban:). It had been a long time since I've had a mass light beer and had a hard time choking it down due to the lack of flavor.

Id seriously rather choke down a Steel Reserve or Schlitz Ice. They may taste like crap but at least they taste. Guess I'm odd.....................

It's kinda funny... here I am looking for the exact meaning of EAC, and I stumble onto this thread.

Here in Canada, where it's next to impossible to get Sam Adams stuff, let alone any Dogfish, and all the Southern Tier stuff is more expensive than getting into Heaven, I still felt the urge to post.

I'm drinking a 6 of Yankee Jim Draft. I probably could have gone with the Molson Dry (which has allegedly won awards). I also have some homemade stout, amber ale and ESB which I have as homebrews. Why drink this when I have my own? I drink mine for the taste, and I drink mass market for the effect.

Actually, if I could have the home brew without the damn annoying drunkenness, I'd do it, because the taste is more important than the ethanol. On the rare occasion I'd want to get loaded... well, $8.35 for a 6 pack on an empty stomach is a fair trade.

I like Coors Lite and I'm not afraid to admit it. It probably has more to do with the memories (or lack thereof) associated with the Silver Bullet. That, or Labatt Blue was my go-to beer when I'd go tailgating for football.

And when I'm out having Mexican food, a Dos Equis or Tecate with lime go great with dinner. I'm not going to order an Imperial IPA to go with my tacos.

I'll drink a Dos Equis amber because it's got some flavor, and I'll drink a Corona with lime if I want something light. The citrus is usually enough to mask the skunk flavor. I'm not claiming they're stellar beers but in the absence of anything else they're not terrible.

I did down 4-5 Coors Light at my brother's bachelor party though, because he got married on the campground his wife's family runs, and there was NO other alcohol anywhere. (though someone broke out a fifth of skyy vanilla late in the evening and at that point we were too drunk to realize it wasn't actually delicious)

I love to drink BMC products (because they are cheap and one of the few beers you can get in WV). Since I'm a college student I have constant exposure to them and drink them often (I'm not gona chug an IPA) .;)

I'm not saying I would drink them over any craft or home brew but hey I got to do what I got to do.:D

If im getting invited over dinner and the owners offer me a coors light as it's all they have, i certainly will drink it without a fuss.

But if given choices, i would pick something else for sure, here in Quebec we get unibroue products and some are usually cheaper then Bud or Coors or all these commercial big names, so i buy Unibroue in between home brew batches (when waiting after them cause their not ready yet you know...)

I think Bud Light, Coor's light kinda stuff just tastes totally Blah... like carbonated water of some sort, but it does the job on a hot summer day, it has it's place somewhat...

Corona is the worst beer i have ever had. Its not bland at all it has a distinct sh*t taste and smell.

For me, when it all boils down, its all beer. I started loving beer when all i could get was Old Mil and Beast, and ill probly love it always. Every beer has its place...like someone posted above...i would not want Barleywine with my burrito : P ill have Tecate

Back