Stone IPA AG have 2 recipes need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryker_hass

Reaction score
Enjoy brewing Sweetwater IPA and I have that down. Need to brew an AG for a friend of Stone IPA - have two recipes need advice. Which one would you brew and why ? Anyone brewing Stone IPA with another recipe, please post that........ In #1 (I use simple safeale for almost all my IPA/Wheat/Pale/Amber) likely wouldn't do that yeast in this recipe)
Thank You in advance. Jim

#1 Brew 365
All Grain Recipe - Stone IPA::: 1.063/1.010 (5 Gal)
Grain Bill

13 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)

Hop Schedule

1 oz - Magnum (75 Min.)
1 oz - Centennial - at Flameout
2 oz - Centennial - Dry Hop in secondary

Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 150° to 152° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 75 minutes (remember to compensate your water if you normally do 60 min boils)
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°

#2 Jeff ? don't know where I found that.....

Stone IPA Clone
by Jeff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:56 am
GO - 1..65
FG - 1.012
IBU - 77
SRM - 10
ABX - 6.9

12.75# 2 row Pale
14oz Crystal 15
1oz Magnum 6 AAU (.43oz 14%) 90 min
1oz Perle 4.5 AAU (.64oz 7 %) 90 min
2oz Centennial 15 min
1oz Centennial Leaf Dry Hop
.5oz Chinook Leaf Dry Hop
WLP002

Mash at 149
90 min boil

The second one is from the BYO article in 2008 with clone recipes put together on the advice of Mitch Steele. In the paragraph right before the recipes he recommends WL 002 or 005.

I just kegged a stone clone. It was based on the byo except I added 1lb munich malt to mine. I did a 60 minute boil with columbus instead of magnum and perle. The other hop additions I used. Tasted it out of the fermentor today and it was damn good. Dry hopped for 10 days. I used s-05 yeast for mine. Cant wait for this one to carb up.

Mitch Steele gives the recipe out in his IPA book. I made it, but it is still in secondary.

93.5% Pale Ale malt
6.5% Crystal 15L

Mash at 150, boil 90 min. Centennial and Chinook for bittering, all Centennial at flameout. Chinook and Centennial for dry hop. WLP002 or 007. IBU 75, OG 1.064, FG 1.012.

Stone changed their yeast for this beer from WLP002 to WLP007.

Go with something more like the second version. Also, this hop schedule gives me the appropriate amount of IBUs:

0.43 oz Magnum pellet @ 90 min
0.64 oz Perle pellet @ 90 min
2.0 oz Centennial pellet @ 15 min
1.0 oz Centennial pellet @ Dryhop 6 days
0.5 oz Chinook pellet @ Dryhop 6 days

4.5 total ounces hops seems very underwhelming for this beer. I like the idea of brewing this beer with 7 ounces total Columbus, Centennial, and Chinook. No Magnum or Perle. The commercial beer always tasted a tad sweet for me so I would also reduce the Crystal 15 to 3-4%, replace the lost amount with carapils, and mash in the upper 140's.

12 lb 2 row
.5 lb Crystal 10
.5 lb Crystal 20

1 oz Warrior @ 60 min
1.8 oz Centennial @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial @ 0 min

1 oz Centennial Dry Hop 14 days

WLP001 yeast

This is what I used as my Stone IPA clone and it's very close. I've brewed it 4 times already, it's actually my "House Beer" now because all my friends love it so much. I tried using CTZ hops instead of Warrior for bittering once, but it changed the bittering character too much so I went back to Warrior. Warrior gives it that clean bittering taste that I pick up from original Stone IPA.

Thanks to all
stryker, did you finish this clone?

I'm about to a.g. brew this clone and I'm planning on the #1 recipe you listed above. I already tried the extract recipe, and that batch is in bottles ready to be tested. Not expecting too much, but my expectations are much anyway. I recently started drinking Stone IPA and this beer is enough for me. I love it.

I'm curious what recipe/yeast you used and the results. I also plan to try Brett's recipe.

I found the BYO article that listed all the Stone recipes from the brewer (link above in answers). Even though there were various opinions above, I brewed directly from the article. The guys at my brew store always hand me S-05, b/c they are of the belief that for any american ale, S-05 is not only sufficient, cheaper, but desired - and these guys brew a lot, so I listen to them. Golden Ale, American IPA, Founder's Porter, Founder's Stout, Pale Ale, they are handing me S-05. You will not find that opinion to be universal on this website. I brewed this on 2.24 currently in carboy, still active fermentation after 6 days. OG 1.062. Recipe OG 1.065, so I'm pretty happy there. Dry hop tomorrow with chinook 1 oz ( recipe 0.5oz, this is the only thing I'm going to alter and the yeast),+ centennial 1oz. Will post again on this beer in approx 3 weeks. Keg tonight Bell's Oberon. Brewing tonight, Victory Summer Love (both of these last ones for the wife, gotta keep her happy too.....) Drinking tonight from manufacturer, Bottle Stone IPA, Bottle Local Brew = Hoppyum (great name eh) Good Luck

ps forgot crystal 15not available so used crystal 20 but a little less 12 oz crystal 20 instead of the intended 14 oz crystal 15

Couldn't resist pouring a glass tonight, it's only been on gas for 1.5 weeks so it's got some time but I think it turned out nice. Mine is on the left and the real one is on the right.

20130301_181414.jpg

Flavors are close to the real thing. I get this lemon flavor in mine that i'm not really sure where it came from, hoping it fades. I did taste that same flavor in the real Stone but much less. I think it's still green and still needs some time to age. Doesn't quite have the bitternes punch that the real stone has but it's darn close. Going to wait another week and try it again to see where it's at. I really like the west coast IPA's and one thing I noticed is that many have munich malt in them, I really like it in the IPA I brewed.

I found the BYO article that listed all the Stone recipes from the brewer (link above in answers). Even though there were various opinions above, I brewed directly from the article. The guys at my brew store always hand me S-05, b/c they are of the belief that for any american ale, S-05 is not only sufficient, cheaper, but desired - and these guys brew a lot, so I listen to them. Golden Ale, American IPA, Founder's Porter, Founder's Stout, Pale Ale, they are handing me S-05. You will not find that opinion to be universal on this website. I brewed this on 2.24 currently in carboy, still active fermentation after 6 days. OG 1.062. Recipe OG 1.065, so I'm pretty happy there. Dry hop tomorrow with chinook 1 oz ( recipe 0.5oz, this is the only thing I'm going to alter and the yeast),+ centennial 1oz. Will post again on this beer in approx 3 weeks. Keg tonight Bell's Oberon. Brewing tonight, Victory Summer Love (both of these last ones for the wife, gotta keep her happy too.....) Drinking tonight from manufacturer, Bottle Stone IPA, Bottle Local Brew = Hoppyum (great name eh) Good Luck

ps forgot crystal 15not available so used crystal 20 but a little less 12 oz crystal 20 instead of the intended 14 oz crystal 15

OG 1.062 is ironic. I just brewed the BYO all grain recipe on Saturday and I got 1.062. I'm fermenting with the James Bond yeast (WhiteLabs007). Oh, and I used 8oz of crystal 10 and 8oz of 20.

I have the BYO partial extract recipe in bottles. No pictures, but I did a side by side. Mine was hazy and a little darker with a ABV of 7.5%. I used bagged whole hops for dry hopping, but they were a bit brown. It's good, but I think that adversely affected the hop flavor. Oh, and I use Stone IPA bottles since they're already labeled. :cross:

Btw, anyone rec where to get fresh green whole?

Just racked into secondary with 1oz Centennial and .5 oz of Chinook that I bought from freshops. I'll bottle in 6 days. I used WL -007 yeast started a day prior.

O.G. 1.062
Racked 1.018

My ABV is low, and my color is off. It tasted alright, but it's too light. I'm setting up for another brew of this, so I hope I improve the color. This was all grain. The partial extract version of this recipe gave me more color, but too much ABV.

Just an update. I brewed the recipe I posted above with the slight modifications below:

Pale Ale malt 94%
Crystal 15L 6%

1oz Centennial and 1oz Chinook for 90 minutes, followed by an ounce of Centennial at 10 min and another at 5 min. Dry hopped with 1.5 oz each of Centennial and Chinook. 1.070 OG, 1.013 FG with WLP007. IBU calculated at 89ish.

Picture below. Mine is on the left. It is slightly darker but not by much. Otherwise appearance is almost identical. Aroma, mine has a sweeter, more Centennial type aroma while the Stone is more decidedly Chinook. Flavor, very similar. Stone's bitterness is a bit sharper, mine is more mellow.

I think to make mine more like Stone's I would use two-row instead of pale ale malt to lighten the color a tad. I would also eliminate the 10 and 5 minute hop additions in favor of flameout. I would also increase Chinook at flameout and dry hop, probably at a 3:1 ratio in favor of the Chinook. Otherwise, pretty close for a first attempt.

image-2130464719.jpg

Looking a little more closely, I'm not sure mine is darker so much that it is more clear. This may make it look darker due to what is behind it.

Back