Thoughts on this recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
I'm looking to do some sort of Spring Ale this weekend. I put together this recipe from items my LHBS has on the shelf ready to go. Your thoughts on how this will turn out or suggestions?

Recipe:

Boil size: 6.25 gallons
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Boil time: 60 min.

1 lb. Caramel Crystal Malt 40L (Steep)
1 lb. Caramel Crystal Malt 80L (Steep)
3.3 lbs. Bavarian Wheat Malt LME (Late Addition)
3.3 lbs. Munich Malt LME (Late Addition)

1 oz. Hallertau 3.8% AA (60 min.)
.25 oz. Cascade 5% AA (15min.)

Safbrew WB-06

Wow, now there's 2 Cookeville brewers here. Where's your hbs, is it the health food store?

_

Ha, that's a good one. I shop all online. No such creature here. Last time I was in good shepard the selection was really lacking.

_

Lol... they are great people... but that's why I was wondering about this recipe I posted. That's about all they had in the range I was looking for and I'm looking to get a batch going this weekend.

P.s. I checked out the brew shed... that thing is a beast! Great work!

I'm looking to do some sort of Spring Ale this weekend. I put together this recipe from items my LHBS has on the shelf ready to go. Your thoughts on how this will turn out or suggestions?

Recipe:

Boil size: 6.25 gallons
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Boil time: 60 min.

1 lb. Caramel Crystal Malt 40L (Steep)
1 lb. Caramel Crystal Malt 80L (Steep)
3.3 lbs. Bavarian Wheat Malt LME (Late Addition)
3.3 lbs. Munich Malt LME (Late Addition)

1 oz. Hallertau 3.8% AA (60 min.)
.25 oz. Cascade 5% AA (15min.)

Safbrew WB-06

Too heavy on the crystal, imho.

Scale each down to a total of 4-8oz and you should be in business. I wouldn't put more than an LB of crystal into most recipes.

Thanks electric! I'll tone the 40L down to 12 oz. and the 80L down to 8 oz. (I'd like it to be a tad malty, just seems season appropriate for my tastes). I'm also going to switch the Cascades out with another Hallertau of .5 ounces for 10 min. I'm pretty stoked about this recipe even though I don't have a clue what style it would be, but seems like it would make a good Spring Ale :D

Back