Starter Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcsum68

Reaction score
Ok, so my first ale is currently in the secondary fermenter and reading what I have on this forum I just hope it doesnt taste bad. My advisor may have given me some misleading information, but his has always tasted ok, so I hope it turns out.

Im gonna do a Kolsh next and then go for an Octoberfest beer, and keep reading about making a starter yeast.

Question is, can you make a starter yeast with dry yeast? All the examples I see are using liquid. Then I read somewhere else that you just pull some of the boiling wort out, cool it, add the dry yeast, let it sit for 30 minutes and add it to the cooled wort.

Im a bit confused on the topic and want my next 2 batches to be as perfect as I am capable of. On my first ale I just added the dry yeast to some warm water and then pitched it after 30 minutes. (per the instructions)

Thanks so much for all the great information, I kinda figured there would be a sticky on this somewhere, but im just returning tons of general converstation when searching.

Adding the warm water is rehydrating yeast, which makes the cell membrane less permeable, and increases yeast cell viability. A starter can be made after rehydrating, but most don't.

You can "proof" the yeast after rehydrating http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html. This will help the yeast get a bit of a head start on getting acclimated to its new home, but again, this isn't that necessary from my experience. Rehydrating is important though.

Nice, I already read most of that, but I am taking in alot of information right now because I want to know everything at once. (Its how I am)

I have another question

"However, I recommend that you add another pint or quart of wort to the Starter to build up the yeast population even more. "

I read this in the lager section also, and didnt quite understand.

Does this mean you are adding additional wort to the original wort with the already active yeast, or that you are creating several independent starters that you will add to the large batch of wort?

That was really confusing to write, so I hope its understood.

....and, if it is just adding more wort to the original starter batch, am I cooking again or just saving some from the first time I cooked it up?

Nice, I already read most of that, but I am taking in alot of information right now because I want to know everything at once. (Its how I am)

I have another question

"However, I recommend that you add another pint or quart of wort to the Starter to build up the yeast population even more. "

I read this in the lager section also, and didnt quite understand.

Does this mean you are adding additional wort to the original wort with the already active yeast, or that you are creating several independent starters that you will add to the large batch of wort?

That was really confusing to write, so I hope its understood.

It is cooking up another starter basically, but adding it to the original starter. It is basically making a really large starter in steps, so the yeast aren't too stressed. It's the same reason you want to make a starter in the first place, and not just toss the yeast in a 5 gal batch.

You should cook up another starter wort.

Alternatively, you could make a large batch of starter wort, and then can it in canning jars. Canning will sterilize the wort, and keep it sealed in an airtight container. So when you are ready to make a starter, or add more wort to it, you can just open up a jar of it, pitch the yeast, and you are set.

It is cooking up another starter basically, but adding it to the original starter. It is basically making a really large starter in steps, so the yeast aren't too stressed. It's the same reason you want to make a starter in the first place, and not just toss the yeast in a 5 gal batch.

You should cook up another starter wort.

Alternatively, you could make a large batch of starter wort, and then can it in canning jars. Canning will sterilize the wort, and keep it sealed in an airtight container. So when you are ready to make a starter, or add more wort to it, you can just open up a jar of it, pitch the yeast, and you are set.

So I am adding yeast everytime I add more wort, or just add more wort?

Sorry, just want to be as clear as possible.

So I am adding yeast everytime I add more wort, or just add more wort?

Sorry, just want to be as clear as possible.

No just more starter wort. As you add more fermentables, the yeast multiply. You are trying to make plenty of healthy yeast to pitch into a 5 gal batch of wort.

No just more starter wort. As you add more fermentables, the yeast multiply. You are trying to make plenty of healthy yeast to pitch into a 5 gal batch of wort.

Thank you very much Kevin, I intend to do this with my Octoberfest, and want it to be great.

Will pretty much any malt base work?

Thank you very much Kevin, I intend to do this with my Octoberfest, and want it to be great.

Will pretty much any malt base work?

You'll want to use the lightest malt possible if you are brewing a light beer...I prefer xtra light DME...or eve Pilnser DME for my starters. Of course if you are brewing a stout or porter it really won't matter..But using Dark malt for something as creamy as a Kolsh...might affect the taste....

It's optional, and a matter of preference, but some people "decant" the majority of the starter beer off the yeast before they pitch it. Others just swirl and dump the entire starter in...I usually split the difference and pour off a good couple cups of the starter beer off, then swirl the rest and pitch.

Thank you very much Kevin, I intend to do this with my Octoberfest, and want it to be great

Arcsum,

I just put together AHS's Oktoberfest kit 5 days ago. Here's how I went about it:

Tuesday: Boil 32oz of water, add 1cp extra-light DME, boil 15 minutes. Cool to 70F, put in sanitized container. Shake the heck out of it, pitch the yeast. Cover with tin foil, store at 65F.

Wednesday: Boil 32oz of water, add 1cp XL DME, boil 15 minutes. Cool to 70F, add to previous batch, shake the heck out of it. Cover with tin foil, store at 65F.

Thursday: Nuttin.

Friday: Boil 32oz of water, add 1cp XL DME, boil 15 minutes. Cool to 70F, add to previous batch, shake the heck out of it. Cover with tin foil, store at 65F.

Saturday: Just before bed, put starter in fridge.

Sunday: First thing in the morning take starter out of fridge, pour off most of the wort which is now separated on top of the yeast. Follow normal brewing routine, aerate wort and pitch starter.

Since I don't own a stirplate (yet), every few hours I was around I gave the starter a good swirl to get the yeast back in suspension.

The fermentation took off after a day at 50F and has been going *very* strong for the past 5 days. This morning there was a bubble in the blowoff every 1-2 seconds. You can see the thick kraeusen that developed in this pic at 34 hours.

Here's the starter on Wednesday:

Hope that helps!

-Joe

Yknow, I gotta say, this is the most helpful forum I have ever been on. Congrats. Seriously.

Usually you get harrased for not knowing everything when you start, or you just dont get an answer at all. I understand some questions are just plain stupid, but so far this has just been a pleasure and I feel like i COULD ask a stupid question if I had a brain fart without getting flamed.

Glad to be a part of it and hope to contribute to it when I know something.

Sorry if I am rambling on, I have had a few this evening.

Yknow, I gotta say, this is the most helpful forum I have ever been on. Congrats. Seriously.

Usually you get harrased for not knowing everything when you start, or you just dont get an answer at all. I understand some questions are just plain stupid, but so far this has just been a pleasure and I feel like i COULD ask a stupid question if I had a brain fart without getting flamed.

Glad to be a part of it and hope to contribute to it when I know something.

Sorry if I am rambling on, I have had a few this evening.

We are here to help, and make brewing easy and fun for everyone. Not act like we know everything.

Back