What movie sucks you in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdann87

Reaction score
I know everyone has their movie.. The one that you have to leave on, no matter how many times you have seen it, what you are doing, the last time you saw it... anything.

For me, I would have to say that my movie weakness is the Shawshank Redemption (or as we just call it "the shank").

Its great, because its on TBS or TNT practically every other day.

What movies do you guys have that just suck you in every time?

I've got a few, man...

Sin City...what a movie!
Any of the OG Star Wars trilogy
The Watchmen
Any Kubrick flick.
Forrest Gump

I've got a few, man...

Sin City...what a movie!
Any of the OG Star Wars trilogy
The Watchmen
Any Kubrick flick.
Forrest Gump

I forgot about the Gump... Gotta love that one.

I'll sit through pretty much any Tom Hanks movie that was made up until the mid 2000s.

The Princess Bride. Every time.

I usually hate watching movies that are edited for television - "give me the gun you fairy godmother...." (The Usual Suspects)

The Shashank Redemption and Saving Private Ryan? Come on guys! I love both of those movies but holy long and depressing. Why not toss in Schindler's List while we're at it.

Are we talking movies that suck you in on TV or movies you watch all the time on purpose? Because if it's TV it's garbage on the SciFi Channel. Giant Squid vs. Killer Croc III or anything along those lines I'll watch because how horrible they are.

If we're talking movies I'd put on anytime I'd say Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, High Fidelity, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, or Lost in Translation.

If we're talking drunk movies I'd put on anytime I'd say Beerfest, Kill Bill, Black Dynomite, Zombieland or The Dark Knight.

The Shashank Redemption and Saving Private Ryan? Come on guys! I love both of those movies but holy long and depressing. Why not toss in Schindler's List while we're at it.

Are we talking movies that suck you in on TV or movies you watch all the time on purpose? Because if it's TV it's garbage on the SciFi Channel. Giant Squid vs. Killer Croc III or anything along those lines I'll watch because how horrible they are.

If we're talking movies I'd put on anytime I'd say Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, High Fidelity, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, or Lost in Translation.

If we're talking drunk movies I'd put on anytime I'd say Beerfest, Kill Bill, Black Dynomite, Zombieland or The Dark Knight.

Dont get me wrong, those are all great movies. Actually I've loved just about every movie in this thread so far.

But I was thinking about the ones that suck you in, where you had no intention of watching a movie until you happened upon it.

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Lord of the Rings
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Silence of the Lambs
Full Metal Jacket

That's my big hit list for movies if I catch them my day changes.

Life aquatic - never heard of it
royal tenenbaums - why did gene hackman waste part of his life making that 1?
hi fi - bored me to tears
eternal sunshine - i think the writer was on acid when he wrote it, as it made less than no sense
lost in translation - my wife was bored and turned it and called it bs, calling it way too touchy-feely

Life aquatic - never heard of it
royal tenenbaums - why did gene hackman waste part of his life making that 1?
hi fi - bored me to tears
eternal sunshine - i think the writer was on acid when he wrote it, as it made less than no sense
lost in translation - my wife was bored and turned it and called it bs, calling it way too touchy-feely

Well aren't we just a party pooper?

Anything mobster classic
Any original Star Wars
and oddly enough "Starman" with Jeff Bridges and some chick in an old Pinto... Don't know why - just gets me every time..

There are lots if great movies already mentioned, and most of them would suck me in if I came across them on TV. I would add Avatar, if it hasn't been mentioned.

I also get sucked in by extremely stupid movies. Idiocracy and Army of Darkness come to mind.

Aliens! Game over man! It is the reason I decided to work in the movie business. Still my fav after all these years. It has a nice slow burn like a cigar. Then once **** hits the fan, it doesn't let up. Great story, perfect sequel, great score, great actors, wonderful suspense, and top notch sound and editing. If you ever get to see it on the big screen, it's one of the loudest films ever made.

MV5BMTYzNzU5MzQ4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcxNDg3OA@@._V1_SY317_CR12,0,214,317_.jpg

Aliens! Game over man! It is the reason I decided to work in the movie business. Still my fav after all these years. It has a nice slow burn like a cigar. Then once **** hits the fan, it doesn't let up. Great story, perfect sequel, great score, great actors, wonderful suspense, and top notch sound and editing. If you ever get to see it on the big screen, it's one of the loudest films ever made.

MV5BMTYzNzU5MzQ4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcxNDg3OA@@._V1_SY317_CR12,0,214,317_.jpg

Wow...Aliens rocked my young world too! The scene when they're all watching the lifeforms moving in, but they can't see any of them...because they're all in the ceiling... maybe the most intense scene in film history.

Wow...Aliens rocked my young world too! The scene when they're all watching the lifeforms moving in, but they can't see any of them...because they're all in the ceiling... maybe the most intense scene in film history.

Yes it is! Such a great lingering feeling of dread. I don't know if you know this, but in two weeks, an Aliens Colonial Marines video game is coming out. It is the sequel we always wanted to Aliens. The original actors even reprise their roles with some voice acting for the game. Check out the trailer below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night it was Blazing Saddles (The unfortunately EDITED version). Used to own the DVD but it got borrowed and not returned.

15 is my limit on Schnitzengrüben!

I'll echo Princess Bride... I'll also throw in "The Jerk" and "Ghostbusters" (the only two movies I will ever own on both VHS and DVD ;)

Shawshank here as well.
JFK
Goodfellas
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Shaun of the Dead
The Natural
Field of Dreams

too many to list. I can pick up any movie at any point and watch

my brother says I only watch movies I've seen before

& it drives the BigHair NUTS that I watch bits and pieces of movies

Back