Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twbalding

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of home brew and when I uncovered the car boy it had some little white dots floating in the beer. Could this mold and if so could it affect the taste.
The picture shows it all...

image-1232968456.jpg

image-3517222880.jpg

Nope not mold, i had same thing on my recent ipa, probably just part of the grain makeup rising to the surface.

Those appear to simply be "yeast rafts". Basically yeast that is floating on the surface instead of falling to the bottom with the rest of the yeast. You will get used to seeing them in nearly every beer that you make. No harm. If any actually made it into the bottle (unlikely), they will simply sink to the bottom along with the other sediment created by the bottle carbonation.

Now the real difficult waiting begins (at least it was for me on my first couple of batches). Give those bottles around 3 weeks to fully carbonate then put a few into the fridge for a few days before you start drinking them.

Congratulations on your first batch. :mug:

Back