Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting patiently for details!

So far I'm failing with the screw on the side of the thermostat. I'm continuing to fiddle with it as it seems like if you set the screw all the way in, the compressor doesn't turn on as often, yet I still have freezing temperatures inside.

I might just give in and use my johnson control I have. I unplugged the unit and going to try one more time fresh to see where it settles, but feel like I've spent too much time on it already.

So far I'm failing with the screw on the side of the thermostat. I'm continuing to fiddle with it as it seems like if you set the screw all the way in, the compressor doesn't turn on as often, yet I still have freezing temperatures inside.

I might just give in and use my johnson control I have. I unplugged the unit and going to try one more time fresh to see where it settles, but feel like I've spent too much time on it already.

Ah man, that's to bad. I was hoping to go all natural with the freezer.
Thanks for the update.

Hope these pics help.

It looks according to the pics maybe yours is not as deep as the FRF1050's, maybe that is why I'm coming up with an 8" collar.
It would have been nice to have the refrigerator setting but maybe they don't carry that model anymore! Ehh, not a big deal, I have a controller to use. Just to know, what model is yours? Just wondering

Answered my own question and posting here so someone may find it.
Whirlpool 10.0 cubic foot freezer:6 corny kegs no collar 7 with collar. The collar would have to be insanely tall to fit that one more keg - 10 inches or more.
I'll post pictures once it is all done.

I just picked up my freezer last night.

So excited about this build. As said before, this freezer (Igloo 10 Cu Ft FRF1050) will fit 6 ball locks on the floor with room to spare.

I plan to have 5 taps and put on a 4" collar. The hump will be used for the CO2 tank.

Here is the specs:

• Brand Name, Capacity and Model Number: Igloo 10Cu Ft (FRF1050)
  • Colors Available: White
  • Availability: Ordered mine from Best Buy
  • Everyday Pricing: 259 @ BestBuy (Got mine on Presidents day sale for 249)
  • Exterior Dimensions: 43" W x 24-5/8" D x 33-1/4" H (If you include the hinge off the back, the Depth is 26-1/2" D)
  • Interior Dimensions: 37" W x 18-3/4" D x 27-1/4" H
  • Compressor Hump Size: 9" W x 18-3/4" D x 8-7/8" H
  • Space from the hump to the lid: 18-3/8H
  • Special Features: No refrigeration setting on this model
  • When sitting a ball lock keg on the hump. From the top of the chest freezer wall, to the top of the ball lock keg is 6" (Basically a ball lock keg sticks up 6" past top)

CyclingCraig: Good on you for posting such a complete info sheet. I will look forward to your build.

Does anyone have the correct sku for version of the igloo 10cu ft that has the refrigeration setting? I could run it with a temp controller, but it would be nice to have it standalone.
Thanks!
Pete

does anyone have the correct sku for version of the igloo 10cu ft that has the refrigeration setting? I could run it with a temp controller, but it would be nice to have it standalone.
Thanks!
Pete

igloo 10 cu ft chest freezer
sku: 1542583

Igloo FRF1050 10.6 cu ft (note: Website says 10.0; Freezer tag say 10.6)

Colors Available: White

Availability: In-store, Online

Everyday Pricing: $259 on sale (Regular 399.99) @ BestBuy

Exterior Dimensions: 42-15/16" W x 25-7/8" D x 33-1/8" H (according to manufacturer specs)

Interior Dimensions: 37-1/4" W x 19" D x 26-3/4" H

Compressor Hump Size: 9" W x 19" D x 9" H, Hump is on the right

Special Features: Unlike some other igloo freezers, this does not have the refrigeration setting.

This model should be able to hold 8 ball lock kegs with a collar - 6 on the bottom and 2 on the hump.

Can anyone confirm that the Igloo FRF1050 and the FRF1049 are the exact same size both exterior and interior, with the only difference being that the 1049 has a built in thermostat so it can be used as a refrigerator?

When I do a compare on the Best Buy website it shows that the FRF1049 is smaller than the FRF1050, but I've learned not to trust those dimensions as they are listed.

I don't know the difference in size but I know that I can fit 8 corny kegs in the freezer with 2 on the hump with a 12 in collar.

I don't know the difference in size but I know that I can fit 8 corny kegs in the freezer with 2 on the hump with a 12 in collar.

Which model do you have TNT? After reading up the thread it looks like you have the FRF1049, which is the variable temp model that can do refrigerator mode. Can you just confirm that for my sanity as that is the model I want and it needs to hold the 6 ball locks on the bottom. Looks like you have 6 ball locks in there since I see pressure relief valves on the caps in your pic.

Which model do you have TNT? After reading up the thread it looks like you have the FRF1049, which is the variable temp model that can do refrigerator mode. Can you just confirm that for my sanity as that is the model I want and it needs to hold the 6 ball locks on the bottom. Looks like you have 6 ball locks in there since I see pressure relief valves on the caps in your pic.

That's correct. I have the reefer mode on mine and there are 6 on the floor and room for 2 on the hump.

Anyone found a replacement for the now discontinued Maytag MQC1552TEW 14.8 cu ft model? (Holds 10 ball lock kegs)

Reading this entire thread, someone mentioned that Whirlpool took over and that the Whirlpool EH151FXTQ model is the same but that one seems discontinued too (no longer on their site). Googling seems to say that it was by the Amana AZC31T15DW, or going by Whirlpool's own site possibly the Whirlpool WZC3115DW?

Can anyone confirm?

My keezer just died and this thing would have been ideal for me as I need:

- Room for minimum 8 ball locks
- Max 56" freezer width (external size)
- Compressor hump on the right side

The Whirlpool WZC3115DW meets these requirements and holds 8 kegs but has lots of dead space from my tests using cutouts. It’s 46” wide and based on my cutouts *almost* holds 9+ kegs so I can’t help but wonder if my cutouts were slightly too large.

Other models that may work include:

- Danby DCFM425WDD
- GE FCM155UWW
- Haier HF15CM10NW

I have very little information on these and the manufacturers are unable to supply inside dimensions when I call or tell me which side the hump is on.

If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears!

Kal

Anyone found a replacement for the now discontinued Maytag MQC1552TEW 14.8 cu ft model? (Holds 10 ball lock kegs)

Reading this entire thread, someone mentioned that Whirlpool took over and that the Whirlpool EH151FXTQ model is the same but that one seems discontinued too (no longer on their site). Googling seems to say that it was by the Amana AZC31T15DW, or going by Whirlpool's own site possibly the Whirlpool WZC3115DW?

Can anyone confirm?

My keezer just died and this thing would have been ideal for me as I need:

- Room for minimum 8 ball locks
- Max 56" freezer width (external size)
- Compressor hump on the right side

The Whirlpool WZC3115DW meets these requirements and holds 8 kegs but has lots of dead space from my tests using cutouts. It’s 46” wide and based on my cutouts *almost* holds 9+ kegs so I can’t help but wonder if my cutouts were slightly too large.

Other models that may work include:

- Danby DCFM425WDD
- GE FCM155UWW
- Haier HF15CM10NW

I have very little information on these and the manufacturers are unable to supply inside dimensions when I call or tell me which side the hump is on.

If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears!

Kal

I have an amana 14.8cuft. It's not the same model number you list (mine is older, 2001?), but I bought it because it was pretty much identical to the maytag. Home Depot's website shows they sell a 14.8cuft maytag with a different model number than what you used to have. I looked at the one on display at hd a few months ago, and it seemed pretty similar to the size of the maytag listed in this thread. Right now I have seven ball locks, a twenty pound tank, a five pound tank, and still have room. I'll have to check if I can squeeze an eight keg with both tanks in there, but pretty sure if I took out the five pound I could do it. I don't have a collar, but if you did, you could utilize the half hump, which is on the right.

Hope that helps you some, good luck let me know if you have any more questions.

I have an amana 14.8cuft. It's not the same model number you list (mine is older, 2001?), but I bought it because it was pretty much identical to the maytag. Home Depot's website shows they sell a 14.8cuft maytag with a different model number than what you used to have.
Must be Maytag MZC31T15DW: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-14-8-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-MZC31T15DW/205736970

Note how the model number is very similar to the model numbers I listed from the other manufacturers:

Whirlpool WZC3115DW
Amana AZC31T15DW

Given that Whirlpool owns both Amana and Maytag, I bet they're actually identical in terms of inside space/layout!

I looked at the one on display at hd a few months ago, and it seemed pretty similar to the size of the maytag listed in this thread. Right now I have seven ball locks, a twenty pound tank, a five pound tank, and still have room. I'll have to check if I can squeeze an eight keg with both tanks in there, but pretty sure if I took out the five pound I could do it. I don't have a collar, but if you did, you could utilize the half hump, which is on the right.
Cool.

If you look at the discontinued Maytag MQC1552TEW layout pics from this thread it's supposed to be able to to fit 10 ball-lock kegs without a collar, not even using the hump (all 10 on the floor). If there's any chance you could confirm that your Amana can do 10 on the floor I think it would help show that it's probably the same layout as the Maytag MQC1552TEW.

Things must be different in the US - up here in Canada I hit about 12 different stores (including Lowes and Home Depot) and nobody tends to stock anything bigger than 10 cu ft on the showroom floor. They can all order the bigger models, but that does zilch to help me figure out what will fit...

Thanks for the info!

Kal

Kal,

I was actually at hd today and looked again at the freezer for you. They have replaced the one I looked at with the new model number, listed on the website. It's similar, but the spec sheet caught my eye. They called this model, in store, a 15cuft. So I glanced at the specs and noticed that the outside dimension changed to 47 3/8," and I remembered building mine at around 46." So, maybe with the extra length it pushed the volume up the extra .2ft^3, I don't know, but I would check the size because although the cuft is the same as thadius's layout, and on their website, the dimensions are not.

If it helps mine is an amana AFC1504AW my inside dimensions measure approximately 41 1/8" x 22 1/8". Exterior is 46 1/8" x 27." I put a couple empty kegs inside, and can fit nine plus my 20lb tank. I didn't take out my 20lb tank, but feel like I could still fit the extra .5" in diameter, if it was placed in the right spot. If you want, I'll try it with all kegs, it's just I need to disconnect all my lines to get the tank out and didn't have time tonight.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428368558.392275.jpg

With that being said, if you have the luxury of going to 56" max width, and want ten kegs on the floor, I personally would check your other options. I can fit the ten, but it's really tight and they just barely fit in. It doesn't leave much room for any lines, as you can tell by the rats nest I had to pile on top to get the kegs in there. I think all the lines would have to be plumbed above the kegs and probably around the sides to maintain any organization. It would bother me to have all ten because it seems like it would be pain in the butt swapping kegs with it being that cramped.

Sorry for the long post. hope this helps. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out, or if you need more tests.

I was actually at hd today and looked again at the freezer for you.
Wow! Thank you very much - that's really appreciated!

So I glanced at the specs and noticed that the outside dimension changed to 47 3/8," and I remembered building mine at around 46."
Were the measuring the main 'box'? (For lack of a better word). What I mean is that in my research I've been thrown off a few times when two freezers that are supposed to be identical have different dimensions on the manufacturer websites, only to realize that it's because one has a recessed handle and one has one that pokes out an inch or two (for example). Most people won't care about stuff like that but they're simply being accurate with their measurements. There are sometimes other things too that stick out the sides too - I think one of these models as a little vent near the temperature control that sticks out an inch or so so "technically" it's about an inch wider. The hinges in the back will also jut out and they include those in their dimensions.

Now that said, that shouldn't change the cubic feet and you're right that 15 is bigger than 14.8. But I've also seen the same freezer advertised both ways - probably just the seller rounding 14.8 to 15.

If it helps mine is an amana AFC1504AW my inside dimensions measure approximately 41 1/8" x 22 1/8". Exterior is 46 1/8" x 27."
Does your exterior measurement include the handle and hinges? Just curious.

If you want, I'll try it with all kegs, it's just I need to disconnect all my lines to get the tank out and didn't have time tonight.
No worries - please don't go that length just for me!

With that being said, if you have the luxury of going to 56" max width, and want ten kegs on the floor, I personally would check your other options.
Agreed - that was my first thought, but seems there's not much between 48-50" wide and the next step up which is 61" wide (give or take). The 15 cu ft Haier HF15CM10NW says it's 55.5" wide which doesn't make any sense since the depth (29.3") and height (33.3") are very similar to other 15 cu ft models. I really doubt the walls are that much thicker/more insulated. Probably a typo.

When I do end up buying (whatever that is) I'll make sure to post back.

Kal

I'm not at home so I am doing this from memory.

I do not have the lid on mine. I built a new lid to what I wanted for the bar I'm building. so I measured the front edge and got 46 1/8" which matches the ext dim on thadius's layout. When I built my "lid," I noticed my side walls actually bowed out in the center and gave me around 46.25"-46.375," in the center of the chest. I don't know if all do this or if it's how mine settled over time, but I think it was built at the 46.125" dimension. My box is pretty flush around the vent and the temp controller is probably the most outer part and it only sticks out maybe a quarter of an inch. I don't use the factory hinges either so I have mine in a cabinet and came up with 27," thadius has it at 27.25." That's probably more accurate because Mine is a little tougher to get inside to measure. I think that's box measurement because the factory hinges are exterior mount and the handle did stick out. The new model is about an inch wider than the specs thadius and I have, the depth is about three inches more, and I think that's all hinge and handle. The spec sheet I took a pic of at hd today showed the depth at 27.25" and I think that has to be box. If you want I'll measure that model at Home Depot so you can know to make a decision. I usually go to hd two or three times a week. Also, my measurements on the interior are close to thadius's. His is smaller, within .25"-.375," but I think it's because the very top of the interior has a plastic trim and sticks inside of the opening about an .125" on each side. It's not a big deal because it is above the kegs and not in the way enough to limit the kegs coming in. Here is what I took a pic of at hd with the size and model number. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428375793.027694.jpg

@ lupulinaddict: Thanks! Any more measurements/info you can provide are certainly appreciated.

@ jsprinceiii: That WZC5415DW is listed on Whirlpool.com as being $50 more than the WZC3115DW model. The width is listed as the same but the depth and height are missing on the WZC5415DW so who knows. Seems the only difference may be that the WZC5415DW has a "Power On Indicator Light" and a "Temperature Monitor Alarm" while the WZC3115DW does not. If you can only fit 9 kegs then it's probably not the same as the Maytag MQC1552TEW as we were hoping. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Kal

@ lupulinaddict: Thanks! Any more measurements/info you can provide are certainly appreciated.

@ jsprinceiii: That WZC5415DW is listed on Whirlpool.com as being $50 more than the WZC3115DW model. The width is listed as the same but the depth and height are missing on the WZC5415DW so who knows. Seems the only difference may be that the WZC5415DW has a "Power On Indicator Light" and a "Temperature Monitor Alarm" while the WZC3115DW does not. If you can only fit 9 kegs then it's probably not the same as the Maytag MQC1552TEW as we were hoping. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Kal

Hi Kal.
Dimensions: 47.375"W x 30.25"D x 33.375"H

We purchased this at Menards as a replacement..

Hi Kal.

That's the same measurements as the new model maytag. I would bet you could get the ten because mine is an 1.25" shorter and I can get it, though it's tight. What is your interior dimensions just out of curiosity? I wonder if that's more insulation or a bigger frame.

Did you try just like its pictured in the post on page 2? ( I can't remember the post number and can't go back on my phone, but it's the maytag 14.8.) I could only do all ten if I stacked them that way.

Hi Kal.

Sorry Kal...
The model I have is actually the EH151FXTQ..
We use the WZC5415DW for food, I grabbed the wrong manual..

With the EH151FXTQ,
we can fit 8 kegs without a problem. 9 Kegs are tight, but do work..
I have a 20# CO2 tank in there as well.. If I moved the tank outside,
it would fit 10- 5 gallon ball lock kegs.

Again, sorry and I am sure this did not help any..
Although, the WZC5415DW is a bit larger..

--john

Thanks jsprinceiii!

As lupulinaddict mentioned - I wonder if you could fit in 10 ball lock kegs (labelled 5B in these pictures) if you moved then as shown here:

ED3A5h4.png

Kal

Kenmore 7.2cf 18702

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

p29AKeF.png

I have this model and while you can definitely squeeze in 6 ball locks and a 5 lb. co2 tank, there is no way you can fit 6 ball locks and a 5 lb co2 tank with regulator. So for all intents and purposes, you can only fit 6 if you keep co2 tank outside of the keezer.

Thanks jsprinceiii!

As lupulinaddict mentioned - I wonder if you could fit in 10 ball lock kegs (labelled 5B in these pictures) if you moved then as shown here:

ED3A5h4.png

Kal

Hi Kal.
10 Kegs will fit if I place the 20# cylinder outside, or if I used a 5# cylinder
sitting on the hump. 9 kegs with the cylinder in place.
It is just easier removing, and adding with just 8 kegs.. plenty of room.
I never have more than 8 full at a time, and do not dispense from the freezer.

Excellent! Glad to hear that 10 ball lock kegs can indeed fit in the Whirlpool EH151FXTQ.

Kal

Hi Kal.
I pulled the CO2 out (tank and 2 port manifold) and replaced with an
empty keg in for pix..

20150408_211402.jpg

2- 5# cylinders could fit on the hump. I have a small alcohol filled mason jar with a thermocouple, and a small container of desiccant on the hump.

--john

10 it is! Unfortunately that Whirlpool EH151FXTQ seems discontinued too...

The Whirlpool WZC3115DW is now available as is the Amana AZC31T15DW (Whirlpool owns Amana). I have a sneaking suspicion they are identical. I've got one last shop to check tomorrow which hopefully has one of the two, otherwise I'm blind ordering the Amana AZC31T15DW. I'll post back either way to hopefully help out the next person looking for a Maytag MQC1552TEW replacement.

Thanks again!

Kal

10 it is! Unfortunately that Whirlpool EH151FXTQ seems discontinued too...

The Whirlpool WZC3115DW is now available as is the Amana AZC31T15DW (Whirlpool owns Amana). I have a sneaking suspicion they are identical. I've got one last shop to check tomorrow which hopefully has one of the two, otherwise I'm blind ordering the Amana AZC31T15DW. I'll post back either way to hopefully help out the next person looking for a Maytag MQC1552TEW replacement.

Thanks again!

Kal

From what I can tell, the replacement is a bit larger.
Will confirm that later today..
:mug:

Kal,

I think jsprinceiii's larger whirlpool is going to be the same box as the amana and the new maytag. I haven't been able to go the last couple nights, but I'll try again tonight to get to hd and get you an interior measurement on the maytag.

I don't know if you can get it in Canada but I was looking at the hd website and they show a frigidaire at 15.69cuft. It's depth and height are similar to the units the three of us have been discussing, but lists the width at around the 56." When I go I'll look for it, but I only remember seeing the maytag.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-15-69-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FFFC16M5QW/205555900/

Back