How much is to much $$ for hop types?.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
I know some hop types are in more demand than others, when do you say no thanks to a certain variety because of price????

Simcoe $1.60 for an oz!?

Is that the usual for that hop?????

I see Amarillo selling for $2.99/oz. Even though most places are sold out by people quickly hoarding it, the price gouging is disappointing because I am sure the hop merchants didn't gouge quite the same way.

I quickly checked a couple sites for Simcoe and one is $1.55/oz and the other is $1.85/oz. Then there is shipping so $1.60 doesn't seem out of line.

I buy pounds and haven't paid more than $20 a pound (Amarillo and Citra included) so I guess if it's more than $20 I'll find another hop that will work just fine.

Hops here in the states will go from 10 to 32 usd per pound.

Seems like a great price when you factor in the exchange rates. That would be around $1.35 US. Just curious, what are some typical hop and grain prices there?

Seems like a great price when you factor in the exchange rates. That would be around $1.35 US. Just curious, what are some typical hop and grain prices there?

After doing the math...... it does work out slightly cheaper than buying here.
I guess what kills it is the $20 shipping cost.

Ill just bite my lip and buy some :mug:

Being next to Northern Brewer is nice because they have a good stock and prices aren't completely ridiculous. Most I've paid was $3 and ounce I think for Galaxy hops. Maybe it was $2.5 or something, but it was worth it.

Wow 11 dollars for 100g on willamette... that is like 50ish for a lb. that 41usd.. Ouch

Should be common sense, but if buying online, make sure to take shipping prices into account. Some sites are flat rate, others flat out inflated.

Too much is when you won't buy it, but that doesn't mean some one else won't. That is the power of the consumer and economics in action.

Back