Multiple Brew sessions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
I spent the bulk of my day brewing yesterday and doing other task associated with the making and storage of beer. I know this is a hobby and many people do it because they love doing it. I do it mainly because I like the beer I brew much better than what I can buy from a commercial brewer. And devoting the bulk of my day to 1 brew session seems like poor utilization of my time.

So my question(s) is this does anyone out there do multiple brew sessions on a single day? How many do you do?.

It seems to me that if I had a process whereby I started a series of brews. Say heating water for the next brew when I was almost finished with the mash. Mashing one brew while boiling the first and heating water for the 3rd that I could triple my production without adding to more than 3-4 hours to my brew day. I think one 10 hour day makes more sense than three 6 hour days.

What do ya'll think?

I just did exactly the same.

My intention was to double my time and triple my output.

I did 3 brews in a day but ended up going the pub and all sorts of other stuff so It was a long day. It's the first time I've done more than one brew in a day.

Are you doing 5 or 10 gallon batches?
I do 10 gal and also like to brew a few weeks in a row so I can go in on a good yeast cake. Like right now I have about 20 gals on tap and 30 in various stages in my fermentation cooler. I also really enjoy the process so I don't feel like I am wasting my time.

orfy said:
I just did exactly the same.

My intention was to double my time and triple my output.

I did 3 brews in a day but ended up going the pub and all sorts of other stuff so It was a long day. It's the first time I've done more than one brew in a day.

Do you think it was worth the extra time? I know you had said you have less time these days.

Yes.

It was hard work but only because I wanted to go to the pub after I started brewing.

Yes I think I'll do it again.

I am soon to be up to 10 cornies so I plan to brew more and less often. Maybe once a month. Then When I'm full maybe once every 6 weeks or so.

Brewiz said:
Are you doing 5 or 10 gallon batches?
I do 10 gal and also like to brew a few weeks in a row so I can go in on a good yeast cake. Like right now I have about 20 gals on tap and 30 in various stages in my fermentation cooler. I also really enjoy the process so I don't feel like I am wasting my time.

I do both. And that's a good thought about the yeast.

It's not the brewing that I find objectionable it's the clean up, same with cooking I like cooking I hate cleaning up afterward.

So I was thinking that by doing multiple brew sessions with just a quick rinse after each mash or boil, followed by 1 good cleanup at the end of the day I would save a lot of time.

And it not that I feel like it's a waste of time. I think it's a worthwhile investment of time as I can't buy beer that's as good as I can make. I just have so little time I feel like anything I can do to use it wisely or more wisely I should.

I have in the past, but not since I moved to Oregon. Most of the time it would be two 5 gallon batches, one AG, one partial or steeped. One exception, the last barley wine, I did the barley wine and a small beer from the same mash.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. With a couple more buckets and another 5 gallon boil pot I could make two batches in the same time as one with only a little more cleanup involved. With a one hour steep time and a one hour boil I might as well have two pots on the stove. Bottling would have to be on seperate days though because I can only fit about 40 22oz bottles in my dishwasher. At 5 gallons a week, production is not keeping up with consumption.:drunk:

My advice on multi-batch days.... find a friend! When I decide to brew 2-3 5 gal batches maybe even bottle another batch I make sure I have a list the day before, a clean open kitchen and a friend to help pass the time with.

best way I have found to brew a couple of batches and still have the day open is start like 7am..

Back