fermenting problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first batch and I used the Cooper's 3.3 lb ingredient kit that includes the malt and dried yeast. Also, my local homebrew store reccomended that I use 3.3 lbs more of malt for 5 gallons. I did all of this, combined the wort to the water in my fermenter, gave it a few brisk stirs to aerate, took an initial hydrometer reading of 1.041, and pitched the ale yeast at around 83-84 degrees (so said my brewing thermometer). Just as expected, the float piece in the airlock rose, bubbling started around 18 hours following pitching, and peak bubbling (1 bubble every 2-3 seconds) started at around 36 hours. However, at just less than 24 hours after peak bubbling, the bubbling stopped completely (I watched it for a while) and the floating piece in the airlock is no longer pressed up against the airlock's cap like it had been. The temperature in the room has not changed from 70-72 and there is a very good seal on the fermenter. From what I've read, it seems a little too soon for fermentation to subside so drastically for using 6.6 lbs of liquid malt. Is this a correct assumption? If so, can anyone offer some possible solutions. Also, is it too late to add more yeast to restart the process or has the damage been done? Any help would be great!

I've used Cooper's dry yeast a bit, and it seems ridiculously aggressive. It honestly seems to ferment to 95% completion in about 40 hours. SO, don't worry. Transfer to secondary, and wait a couple weeks.

Hey and thanks for replying. I've posted on a couple of other boards and everyone seems to agree with you that everything is probably all good. I just don't have anything to compare to with this being my first batch. I don't have a secondary yet, so on day 7 or so, I'll probly go ahead and prime and bottle. Thanks again!

captaineriv

I agree 100% with the recommendation for a secondary.

As for the ferment, I tried coopers dried yeast for the first time recently and noticed a very very quick and violent ferment. I wouldn't be suprised if it's done fermenting. You can be sure though by testing the gravity of your beer with your hydrometer (great tool BTW). Basically, your reading should be in the neighborhood of 1.015.. and please draw a sample to test, do not just pop the top and drop the hydrometer in there.

Just took a sample. Lost, you'll be glad to know that the reading was EXACTLY 1.015 after I made the +.001 correction for 75 degrees. It looks like I'm at around 3.4% ABV. If the beer store has a carboy in stock, I guess it's ready for 2ndary? Wonder why the ABV is so low? I used two 3.3 lb cans of liquit malt extract. What would be the best way to get ABV up to at least 5% next time?

captaineriv said:
What would be the best way to get ABV up to at least 5% next time?

add more sugar (corn sugar, cane sugar, additional malt extract, honey, etc).

be aware that more alcohol means the beer will be thinner.

You will soon learn that FLAVOR is what's it's all about, and not ABV.

-walker

Walker said:
You will soon learn that FLAVOR is what's it's all about, and not ABV.

My apologies. That comment seems a little "snooty" by itself, and I do not want to come off this way.

My point is that I would rather drink two GOOD TASTING beers at 3.5% ABV than one BAD TASTING beer at 7% ABV.

I had a friend several years ago that would always start his thinking for the next batch with how much alcohol he wanted in it. He would add in more sugar to try and reach his goals. The first time he acheived target ABV, the beer was thin, dry, and terrible to drink. It gave a hell of a buzz at 7%, but you had to really try hard to convince your throat to let it pass to the stomach.

We had to end up mixing it with different beer just to make it tolerable to drink.

If you want an ABV boost, go for the additional extract and not raw sugars. The beer will be more pleasant to the mouth.

-walker

*nods head in agreement*

Good beer is goal #1, ABV being only a fraction of the overall process.

FYI, LME has a lower % of fermentable sugar per pound versus DME, so even 6.6 pounds of LME isn't really a whole lot for a 5+ gallon batch.

Thank you both for the advice. That makes sense, plus I learned something new. I just figured that 3.4% might be a little too low to be "acceptable" for lack of a better word, but I guess homebrewing is all about appreciation of taste.

captaineriv

3.4% is not unacceptable at all. I don't even know how much alcohol is in the beers I brew. My current batch tastes good, but I can tell that it's pretty low in alcohol... maybe even below 3%.

I tend to prefer more body in my beer, and I intentionally sacrifice alcohol content to acheive the mouthfeel I want.

If I want a big buzz, I'll throw back a couple shots of tequila and wash it down with a beer.

-walker

Walker said:
If I want a big buzz, I'll throw back a couple shots of tequila and wash it down with a beer.
If you have to throw it back, it's nasty tequila. Really good tequila should be sipped, just like scotch. Try some Cabo Wabo or Patron (the Anejo version in either). It'll be the best $75 bucks you ever spent. :cool:

El Pistolero said:
If you have to throw it back, it's nasty tequila. Really good tequila should be sipped, just like scotch. Try some Cabo Wabo or Patron (the Anejo version in either). It'll be the best $75 bucks you ever spent. :cool:

are you crazy? I only drink patron in mixers! and cabo wabo?! you know that's Sammy Hagar's brand, right?

El Tosoro or Penca Azul for me. The best $100 you ever spent. :D

(the 'throw back' comment was not meant literally.)

Walker said:
I only drink patron in mixers!
Sudster...we're gonna need that rope again! :mad:

Walker said:
cabo wabo?! you know that's Sammy Hagar's brand, right?
No one ever said he could rock...just that he know's good tequila when it slobbernocks him. :D

Well, while we're on a tangent let me throw my two cents in for Sauza Hornitos. Best 100% agave resonably priced tequila. I just can't justify drinking something that costs $50 or more for 750 ml.. but that's just me.

As to the ABV question.. we'll I like to have around 5% - 6% ABV in my beers. I start with enough 2 row to get me close and then adjust according to how much specialty malt is added. 50 bottles go a lot farther when you only drink one a night.. while I'm no alcoholic and don't really enjoy being inebriated I do think I'd feel cheated if my brews had 3% ABV. That's just me though.. no flames intended. I just want you to know that it IS ok to be concerned with the alcohol content of your brews.

To get that ABV up there you need more malt (either syrup or DME or grains for the AG brewer). Adding table sugar is a very bad idea - it can and will lead to off flavors. If you must up the ABV with sugar please do it with corn sugar (priming sugar). The problem with sugar of any kind is simply that it will not add any more maltiness, body, or color. It can lead to thin, lackluster beers. More malt is the better option... and if the beer is too thin for your liking then add some carapils/dextrin next time around.

I'm glad to hear my advice was useful.. the beer will fine, and 3.4% isn't terrible at all. It's perfectly acceptable but if you want to go higher then I'm certainly willing to help you get there. Next time you'll have to try an imperial stout - motor oil with 10% ABV or therabouts :D

And try using some sort of receipe program to help you project IBU's, SRM, ABV, etc. Qbrew, while very rudimentry, is free and works well enough for me. One day though I think I'll upgrade to promash..

Lost, thanks once again for your advice. Being that I am a stout fan and that state law where I live limits beer in stores to around 6.0 or something like that, I might take you up on the imperial stout. As for the Sauza Hornitos, for it's price and degree of mass-production, it's damn decent stuff, although not sure I'd sip it straight. But I don't like sipping anything straight enough to pay $40+ for a 750ml bottle.

captaineriv

captaineriv said:
But I don't like sipping anything straight enough to pay $40+ for a 750ml bottle.

Ah.. but this is because you've never tried a truely phenominal tequila. When you can sit and sip tequila with no need for salt, lime/lemon, or a chaser, you will see that it is quite a thing of beauty.

There are many things in life that, once you experience them, you can never go back to anything else; real maple syrup, good tequila, high-speed internet, high thread-count sheets, homebrew, etc.

I used to drink Patron. It was my favorite. Then I had El Tesoro and watched my bottle of Patron just sit there and gather dust. Now, don't get me wrong... Patron is a fine tequila. I just have found something much MUCH better in El Tesoro ($100/bottle.)

My friends and I usually go through 2 or 3 bottles of it over a 3 day weekend in Vegas.

-walker

Have to agree with Walker here...if you can't imagine sipping tequila, then you just haven't had any good tequila. :mad:

As for Patron vs El Tesoro...I'm willing to be fair about this. Send me your dusty bottle of Patron, along with a bottle of El Tesoro. I'll give them a fair taste and report back to you with my results. :cool: If necessary you may have your wife deliver them to me in her daisy dukes.

El Pistolero said:
As for Patron vs El Tesoro...I'm willing to be fair about this. Send me your dusty bottle of Patron, along with a bottle of El Tesoro. I'll give them a fair taste and report back to you with my results. :cool: If necessary you may have your wife deliver them to me in her daisy dukes.

If you think I'm sending my wife to your house, scantily dressed, and hauling two bottles of Tequila, you are crazy. :D

-walker

Walker said:
If you think I'm sending my wife to your house, scantily dressed, and hauling two bottles of Tequila, you are crazy.
No, didn't really think you would, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :D

UPS will be fine for shipping me the tequila then. :cool:

Back