Western NC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Valdese. There is a good club in Hickory called Catawba Lager & Ale Sampling Society... they are the group that puts on the Hickory Hops each year...

I'm in Valdese. There is a good club in Hickory called Catawba Lager & Ale Sampling Society... they are the group that puts on the Hickory Hops each year...

Im in morganton and with me and another friend were talking about trying to start a strictly homebrewing club, not a tasting club, that could maybe meet once a month or every 2 months. Glad to hear there's someone else in Burke county brewing

Any favorite beers from our area? I am partial to Gaelic Ale from Highlands (and Cold Mountain of course), and Black Forest Stout from Heinzelmännchen.

I'm also looking for a good local barley wine if you could help me out!

I'm in SC but am a fan of cold mountain ale and thunderstruck porter. Virginia has some good beers too. Wolf Hills brewery and the Damascus brewery are great (between Bristol TN and Wytheville VA)

Fonta Flora in morganton does a sweet potato table beer that is absolutely delicious. They rotate their stuff pretty regularly but most everything else ive had there is very good as well

Any favorite beers from our area? I am partial to Gaelic Ale from Highlands (and Cold Mountain of course), and Black Forest Stout from Heinzelmännchen.

I'm also looking for a good local barley wine if you could help me out!

Gaelic is great! Cold mountain too, can't get enough of the cranberry. Heinzelmännchen brews a great black forrest. I am a little partial to Nantahala Brewing. And they do a fantastic barley wine.
Has anybody tried Innovation brews in Sylva?

Eddie

Gaelic is great! Cold mountain too, can't get enough of the cranberry. Heinzelmännchen brews a great black forrest. I am a little partial to Nantahala Brewing. And they do a fantastic barley wine.
Has anybody tried Innovation brews in Sylva?

Eddie

I haven't tried Innovation, but my buddies say they have a couple good IPA's. Is there a LHBS in Bryson? Because I'm in Sylva that would be much easier than making the trip to Asheville every time I need something.

Nah, no brew supply store in Bryson. But, there is one in sylva behind Kountry Kubard it's called Dingleberry's (main st) have you tried them?

Eddie

I have tried but they don't have stable hours and are in the process of moving, are they generally alright for everything you need?

For about a year now I have been trying to get in there myself, but haven't due to their hours.
Maybe we can get together and make a trip or do a large buy?

Eddie

Yeah we could do a combined order, if we ever figure out what those hours are! And I like hops and vines in Asheville myself, but it's an hour from me

The hours for Dingleberry's is
Mon-Wed 6pm-8pm.
Yeah Asheville is a drive for me but the wife and I try to make it at least once a month.

Eddie

I am actually on my way to Rutherford for the weekend so I am stopping at Hops and Vines to get this batch. But I'll check Dingleberries Monday and see what they got!:mug:

I haven't tried Innovation, but my buddies say they have a couple good IPA's. Is there a LHBS in Bryson? Because I'm in Sylva that would be much easier than making the trip to Asheville every time I need something.

You far WNC folks should take a ride to Waynesville and see the owner of the Frog Level Brew Co. Their beers are really good and the owner is really nice guy. He said I can buy just about any 50 lb sack of grains for ~$40 pre-crushed. It's a hellofa lot closer than Asheville! + a lot cheaper than any of the brewers supply places in Asheville. Riverbend malts in AVL are top quality and great price, but in low supply even with their recent expansion. Cheers!

I'm starting a homebrew club in Waynesville, NC. First meeting is Aug. 30th. If anyone is interested in coming out pm me. Should be fun. have a range of different folks coming, some who do extract/pm some who do ag. We will be grilling and drinking and then if folks want to hang around, I'm brewing.
Nate

P.S.
Also, Innovation is cool. Lots of variety, some better than others but always a few good ones on the taps! [They had 24 beers on tap last time I was there]

Waynesville is great for beer considering its size. We have 3 breweries. Bear Waters Brewery [terrible name] has good beers. Frog Level has a few I like. Tipping Point is decent but undercarbed for some styles and a bit inconsistent.

While I won't be making out to your homebrew club meetings for a while, you can expect me to participate once I move to Maggie Valley from Asheville early next year. Glad to hear you're doing something to bring the homebrewing community together! Cheers :D

No worries. You're welcome anytime. I have a Facebook page got the club. Black Bear Homebrew Club. If you keep an eye on it I'll have the meetings and such posted!

I just joined from down in Hendersonville. Sometime earlier this year the little homebrew shop/winery on Main St shut down unfortunately. I've never gotten around to checking out any of the shops in Asheville either.

Moved to the Columbus/Tryon area from Raleigh last year. Hops and Vines is a great shop but I do miss the selection available from American Brewmaster and Atlantic Brew Supply!

Looks like there are a lot of folks in the western part of the state here. We should look at forming a regional brew club.

I would like to chime in about one of the brew supply stores in Asheville. Asheville Brewing has been in business for 20 years and their prices are as good as any of the internet stores. They carry anything you could possibly need. And they hold free classes where you get to drink beer made by the previous class. Each month they do a free all grain brewing class around the first Saturday in the month and later in the month a free extract brewing class. They're on Merrimon Ave across from the post office and Asheville Brewing, a great place to grab a bite to eat and a craft brew.

Looks like there are a lot of folks in the western part of the state here. We should look at forming a regional brew club.

I would like to chime in about one of the brew supply stores in Asheville. Asheville Brewing has been in business for 20 years and their prices are as good as any of the internet stores. They carry anything you could possibly need. And they hold free classes where you get to drink beer made by the previous class. Each month they do a free all grain brewing class around the first Saturday in the month and later in the month a free extract brewing class. They're on Merrimon Ave across from the post office and Asheville Brewing, a great place to grab a bite to eat and a craft brew.

I'm from Asheville and this is where I get my supplies. Everyone that works there is awesome and are of GREAT help.

Back