Fermentation temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepsn beer

Reaction score
What are some ideas for accurate carboy/fermenter temperature control. I've heard of aquarium heaters in a container of water with the carboy sitting in it, any other ideas.

An old fridge with a johnson controller set at 68 degrees would probably be most accurate, but the other methods involving the bathtub and frozen water bottles and fans would work, too.

Maybe I need a new Freezer for lagering 30-45 and turn my lagering fridge into an ale fermenter and keep it at 65-70. Seems like the best method by far. Looks like more flowers and jewelry for the wife.

I've got an old water bed thermostat hooked to a Mr Coffee. My plan is to put it in an unplugged fridge, with a pot of water on the burner. But I didn't do it this winter. I should have. Maybe I'll remember it next winter.

Like Yooper Chick said. A freezer with a Johnson controller is a good way to go.

Here's a 10 cubic foot chest freezer. I use it it for chilling, crash cooling, & carbing.

LagerFreezer1.jpg

Another method and cheaper is the Son of Fermentation Chiller. Here's one I picked up off of Craigslist.com for $50. A frozen gallon jug keeps my ales at 65 degrees for 2 days before I have to swap it out.

4569-FermentationChiller2.jpg

Back