coopers heritage lager temp?? and dry hoping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naladaly

Reaction score
I have a batch of coopers heritage lager on at the minute and i used Saflager s-23 yeast but i kept it at 20 Degrees for fermentation, was this to high and what affect will it have and also should i condition it at a much lower temp?

If anyone has made the heritage lager would it benefet from dry hoping in secondary?

I'm assuimg your temp is in Celsius but to be sure...Celsius or Ferenheit?

20 degrees C = 68 degrees F.
(sorry, that's for my reference as I haven't converted my brain to Metric...yet) :)
Here's a link that I pulled off a Google search.
http://www.brewasaurus.com/index.cfm/blogs/popular/c3_Beer-Styles/a1014_clgridley/index.cfm?action=ingredients&type=Yeast&YeastID=101
It says 48 - 59 degrees F so 9 to 14 degrees C for fermenting so you might have fermented too warm for the style but as long as it finished fermenting...
The other members would have a much better understanding of what effects the warmer fermenting temp would have on the brew but here's my understanding...a lot of brutal off flavors and aromas. Hopefully not too much that it went arseways and is all gammy :(

As far as conditioning goes there are a LOT of threads from very experienced brewers but I'll reiterate what I've learned. 3 weeks @ 70 degrees F or 21 degrees C. 3 WEEKS! You do that you'll be good to go :mug:

I think I got that right....:cross:

Brew On,
~BJ

Thanks for the info.

It's a strange one, the coopers kit calls for a temp of 20 - 27 if using their yeast but then that is an ale right?

The saflager s-23 calls for a temp of between 11 and 20 on the packet but yet lager is not supposed to be up at 20?

It was always under 20 so it might be alright but yet not a lager..it's very confusing, I'm going to buy a 2nd hand fridge and try to really keep the temp around 11

I just have no idea what damage to flavour I did with keeping it at 20 even though the packet says that is fine for that yeast

You're right, it was fermented in ale temps.

A wise man once said:
"Don't worry. Have a homebrew." :)

Sure all I can do is wait and hope, bottle and forget about it for a year outside in the cold..I think

I'll brew on..

About dry hopping, I haven't tried it....let me know how it worked for you if you end up doing that. I will be trying it with some home grown hops (Glacier) in one of my next brews.

I have dry hoped it so I'll let you know how it turns out, do you grow your own hops? I would love to try but they grow about 14ft right?

LoL, no....35 to 40 feet. But I grew mine a vertical of about 10 feet then set them on a horizontal string and they grew another 6 feet or so. But this last year was their first year. They did produce almost a full pound though! You should grow some if you can. Even growing one variety is very freeing and educational. It gave me an appreciation for the high cost of hops...I used some straight from the vine only days before I harvested and it was lightly hopped (due to the fact that they were wet and not dried at all) but the aroma and taste came through. If you live in an urban area there might be a local farmer or gardener who would be willing to sacrifice the small amount of land it takes to grow hops in exchange for some homebrew?

35 to 40 feet!? are they hard to grow ie. do they need a lot of work or certin conditions?
Space is not an issue as i have 50 acre's..there is onle one farm in Ireland that still grow hops and i dont think they even sell them.

not hard to grow at all given they are provided plenty of sunshine. The root system shouldn't get too wet otherwise you run the chance of rot or other possible diseases...but generally they are a weed and will thrive in many conditions. This shouldn't be confused with the fact that they LOVE water. Just not standing water. So if you don't plant them on the bank of a lake or pond you should be just fine :cross: A lot of loosened dirt gives the sprouts a MUCH easier time poking through and getting sunshine.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/some-tips-growing-hops-55601/
http://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-gardening/#planting
You can check out these links for further info the growing of hops. They aren't hard to grow at all. The first year you won't get much of a crop, but don't be discouraged because the second year will yield a lot more of a crop as the plant is starting to mature. They spread like fire so you gotta be careful and lend an eye (maybe both:p) on watching for new sprouts. Anyway, most of what I've said and everything I can think of is all in those links I'm sure. Good luck! :mug:

Thanks for the info.

It's a strange one, the coopers kit calls for a temp of 20 - 27 if using their yeast but then that is an ale right?

The saflager s-23 calls for a temp of between 11 and 20 on the packet but yet lager is not supposed to be up at 20?

It was always under 20 so it might be alright but yet not a lager..it's very confusing, I'm going to buy a 2nd hand fridge and try to really keep the temp around 11

I just have no idea what damage to flavour I did with keeping it at 20 even though the packet says that is fine for that yeast

Coopers advise with their Heritage Lager Kit that the kit yeast supplied can ferment as low as 13°C (55.5°F) and can survive 40°C (104°F) however there is an increased risk of spoilage the further you deviate from the 21°C - 27°C range they suggest. I think the issue is risk of infections at lower temps if sanitation and temperature control is not correct.

I put a Heritage Lager in the temperature controlled fermenter yesterday and plan on fermenting at 15°C (I pitched at 24°C). Very slow taking off so I hope it will not spoil!

Back