Malts you would like to see and use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrythe9th

Reaction score
Hello, I'm opening a HBS and would like some input on opening stock as what you all would like to find at your local HBS

I have room for around 30 specialty malts

I would like to stock at least 3 to 5 base malts pale, golden,marris otter ???

let here your inputs
Thanks

i think you're going to need more than three base malts.

At a minimun I would do Rahr, Maris Otter, Pilsner, and wheat but it would also be nice to have a cheap 2-row, Golden Promise, and Rye malt. It's really nice to have base malts from different maltsters as well.

You have to have Munich and Vienna of course

Crystal: A range of crystal malts (15, 40, 60, 120), caramunich, carapils, caravienne, carastan

Specialty: Victory, bisquit, honey malt, special roast, acidulated malt, melanoidin malt

Roasted: pale chocolate, chocolate, black patent malt, roasted malt, belgian special B, carafa special II

There you go, that's 29 total malts with room for one more.

Thanks, I only have so much $$$$ for opening grain stock $2000.00
I do plan to add more choices as I get Customer feed back.
You have to have multi maltsters as no one makes all the choices

so far I'm using Greatwestern malts, Barid's, Weyermann's, Muntins, Franco-Belges, Thomas Fawcet, Gambrinus.Castle,

I would like to see Dingermanns Roasted Wheat 10L-14L, but no one in the US seems to carry it. I got it once from my homebrew club but that was a special deal.

Either way this really has nothing to do with your question.

So...
+1 to JonK331 and rice hulls

I agree that Pilsner/Munich/Vienna are needed. Perhaps Maris Otter (for British styles), Pilsner (for German styles), and a more generic two-row for others, if you are limited to three.

I've been thinking about this and if I had a choice of only three malts to make the widest variety and best beer possible I would want Rahr, Pilsner, and wheat. Rahr is kind of in-between MO and American 2row so it works for all American and English styles, Pilsner is an obvious, and I just don't think you can get away with not having wheat.

1) Try to stock the widest variety possible. Don't stock Cara20, Carastan and Cara 30 and not have something else I want.

2) Carafa Special III is better for color modification than Black Patent; Roasted Barley has better flavor than Black Patent. Black Patent sucks.

3) Everyone who reads "Brewing Classic Styles" will want Pale Chocolate Malt (200*)

4) Stock barley, wheat and rye. Rice, corn and oatmeal waste space and you aren't going to beat supermarket prices anyway.

Being in your relative neck of the woods, go with the whole lineup of Great Western malts. That will get you:

Base
2-Row
Pale Ale
Munich
Vienna
Wheat

Specialty
C15
C30
C40
C60
C75
C120
C150

Other Base malts needed:
British Pale Ale and some kind of German/Continental Pilsner, maybe a German Munich

Other Specialty:

Crystal/Dextrin
Carapils, Special B, CaraVienne, CaraMunich

Kilned
Victory, Biscuit, Aromatic, Special Roast, Melanoidin, Honey malt

Roasted
Pale Chocolate, Chocolate, Black Patent, Roasted Barley, Carafa Special II or III

Flaked
Barley, Maize, Oats, Rice, Rye

Other
Acid Malt, Rye Malt, Dark Wheat Malt, Chocolate Wheat/Rye, Crystal Wheat/Rye

How is the LHBS going so far? I'm considering doing the same thing some day (in a state far away)...I figured I'd use the next couple of years to build a business plan and gauge the feasibility. Any words of advice?

Back