1st brew...clove taste with us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drizzle67

Reaction score
Hello.

So i got a 5 gallon extract blonde ale kit put together by jay up in redding. For a first batch i feel everything went alright besides a few boil overs. my OG was right where it should have been. I cant remember exactly where it was as at this moment as this was back on Jan 10th. (i did write it down, but haven;t found my paperwork yet) So i siphoned it into my fermenter(10gal SS tank) added my yeast US-05, and let it sit. it began fermentation about 3 days in i could see airlock activity. I was going to wait 3 weeks and then bottle, but it ended up being about 5 weeks. Either way i hit my FG i think was 1.012, and bottled about Feb 17th or so. After 2 weeks i tried one and it was really strong taste of clove and probably bitter, so after 3 weeks it was still there. Its around 5 weeks now being bottled, and i am noticing it not as strong anymore. I am hoping it will completely fade, but any suggestions as to what could be causing this? it fermented in my bathroom about a constant 58 after initial fermentation which was around 65 deg. Any help would be appreciated, or if you need more info let me know.

I just want to say a big thanks to everyone here too, as i have learned quite a bit from reading. Even though it tastes kinda crappy, it's still beer and hopefully ill get some time to start on my second batch.

i just experienced the clove taste with us-05 in ed worts pale ale recipe - everything went great on brew day. Air lock was active within 4 hours of pitching. When I bottled after 3 weeks in primary at constant temp of 63, i tasted the clove flavor. It has only been in the bottle for 1 week now, so I am hoping the taste is gone by the time it is carbed up. I am interested in anyone else's experience with this also.

I have had the clove taste in several of my brews and some were with US-05 but others used different yeast. As you have noticed, this flavor seems to fade over time in the bottle - though it never completely goes away.

For me, it seems to be more with process than the yeast. In the past couple months, I have gone through several brew house changes. First I got my fermenting temperature in control by putting my carboy in a cooler half filled with water and adding ice bombs to keep the temp in range. Next I switched to partial/mini mash brewing and I built a immersion chiller.

With all of these changes in place with my last two batches, I no longer have any "clove" taste. Not sure if this helps you in your quest but maybe...

hmmm - i am doing all-grain, and use a wort chiller. as far as temp control, i use the "swamp cooler" in the warmer months, otherwise my basement keeps it at a steady 63 on the thermo in the cooler months. This is the first beer I have had with this issue, and was the first time I used us-05.

Thanks Larry, i guess it's probably in my process as it did not ferment at a high temp. Maybe if the equipment wasn't cleaned good enough, or something... I dont know. I just ordered another kit last night, so I hope it was just something from being a first timer. i guess i'll be sure and document everything and be careful so that way this next beer isnt a total bummer. If anyone else has any words of wisdom i would appreciate it.

Back