Advice needed on coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoffman565

Reaction score
Hey all here's my situation:

I purchased the partial mash AHS Coffee Malt Stout kit and decided to trick it up with some extra grains. My final recipie ended up being this:

5.5 lbs Marris Otter
.75 lbs Crystal 80
.75 lbs Coffee Malt
.50 lbs Chocolate Malt
.25 lbs Crystal 40
.13 lbs Black Patent Malt
.13 lbs Black Barley
1 lb Amber Dry Extract
8 oz. Malto Dextrine
3 lbs of Dark Liquid Extract (added with 15 minutes left in the boil)

I mashed the grains at 155 for an hour. After the boil and after topping off in the fermenter, I ended up with an OG of 1.072. I let it ferment (with 2 pkgs of Saf-Ale 04) for 14 days and took a gravity reading. It was 1.028. I transferred into secondary and let it sit. Today is the 22nd day in secondary and took another reading. I was pretty much the same - 1.028. The predicted FG is supposed to be 1.018.

Any advice on how to get the gravity any lower? SHOULD I even try to get it lower? Any possible negative consequenses if I decide to bottle it?

On a slightly different note: am I correct in thinking that all the specialty grains lend UNFERMENTABLE sugars only?

Thoughts/Comments/Questions?

Thanks,
Andrew

I plugged the numbers in at hopville & came up with a projected 1.021 FG. So I'd definatly try to get the FG down a bit. I've got a 1.90 RIS in primary now on Windsor yeast, hoping to get it down to below 1.025 so I'm paying attention to threads like this right now.

My suggestion, pitch a packet of Nottingham, if not that then US-05. Others may vary with opinions about how to pitch it, but I think it would work best if you make a starter with it so it's use to an alcohol rich environment. I suspect it would be way too much stress to dump newly rehydrated yeast into a 6-8% alcohol solution (your bier) and hope many survive.

Good Luck & Schlante,
Phillip

Back