Can beer age to long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop man

Reaction score
Everything I read says that the beer will get better with age but at some point will the flavor of the beer start to decline? If so, how long before it starts going bad?

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Don't use
Bottled - Cali. style imperial pale ale (bottled 8-9)

Planning to brew Red Ale 9-9

It really varies with the style and frequently the strength. It's one of those semi-contentious issues that not everybody exactly agrees on, but I suppose that's because taste is subjective.

Most hoppy beers will see their hop flavor, or punch, start to decline relatively soon, as in months. Hefeweizens are better enjoyed young to get the full benefit of the esters and phenols which will decline with age.

OTOH, really strong beers like imperial stouts and barleywines will greatly benefit from long-term aging, often around a year, and sometimes more.

So, long story short, it all depends.

Hmm...I've yet to find out! I like to see how the flavors combine over the course of several months, but 3 or 4 months is about as long as any beer lasts around here. I read somewhere that most homebrew is best within a year, but that's certainly subject to a lot of variables and criticism.

I may never find out! My first batch was ready for drinking mid July and I only have one bottle left. My latest batch was ready 3 days ago and I'm already down
8 bottles. I drank six the other day and tomorrow I have to cut the grass so need I say more?:drunk:

Tommy

I may never find out either......... unless I give a 6 pack to a person who is immune to torture, have them take it to a place I don't know about in a sealed box and burry it for 6 months or longer.........
Sounds like too much work. Someone needs to invent a "Aging Machine" :)

Back