A Keezer is Born

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amiaji

Reaction score
I have been wanting to build a keezer for a while now. After much reading and researching I finally decided to take the plunge. Many of the ideas came from this site.

The victim:
7.2 cu/ft Magic Chef
keezer002.jpg

The frame starts taking shape.
keezer019.jpg

Adding the trim.
keezer029.jpg

My beautiful wife helping out.
keezer060.jpg

Stained and finished.
keezer063.jpg

Love controller installed.
keezer068.jpg

Top and perlicks installed.
keezer070.jpg

Beer installed and ready to go.
keezer092.jpg

My first pint.
keezer090.jpg

I still need to make a drip tray for it but other than that it is ready to go. Thanks for all the info and ideas from everyone on here.

Wow, that would go great in my bar. I see stuff like this and I want to build it! Unfortunately I have to save for the wedding before I save for the hobby. Your Keezer looks awesome!

Great job! A few suggestions...
Placement of the temperature sensor should be in the middle of the keezer.
Paint the inside of the keezer with appliance epoxy paint to prevent future rusting.
At the bottom of the keezer, put down some plastic cushioned shelving liner to protect the paint.
One of the problems that I've addressed with my keezer is keeping the temperature even throughout, which also helps with ice build-up. You'd be surprised how much the temperature can fluctuate from the bottom to the top. In addition to having the keezer connected to the temperature controller, I've also connected a homemade fan that sits inside at the top of the keezer. The fan was made soldering a computer power fan to a cell phone charger. It'll only take one frozen keg on the bottom shelf until you decide to do this. It also keeps beer in the beer line from becoming too warm.

Great job! A few suggestions...
Placement of the temperature sensor should be in the middle of the keezer.
Paint the inside of the keezer with appliance epoxy paint to prevent future rusting.
At the bottom of the keezer, put down some plastic cushioned shelving liner to protect the paint.
One of the problems that I've addressed with my keezer is keeping the temperature even throughout, which also helps with ice build-up. You'd be surprised how much the temperature can fluctuate from the bottom to the top. In addition to having the keezer connected to the temperature controller, I've also connected a homemade fan that sits inside at the top of the keezer. The fan was made soldering a computer power fan to a cell phone charger. It'll only take one frozen keg on the bottom shelf until you decide to do this. It also keeps beer in the beer line from becoming too warm.

I had considered putting a fan in it to circulate the air. I'll check and see if I have a computer fan around here somewhere.

I like to put my sensor in a thermowell in a two liter coke bottle filled with water. It should greatly prolong the life of your compressor and stop large temperature fluctuations.

Wow, that's some pretty nice woodworking there. Great job! I'd be proud to display that in my home any day. All of you at HBT keep making me think of planning bigger than just adding a collar when my freezer arrives.

One of the best I've seen! Looks great.

Is there any concern of overheating, placing all that wood on the freezer?

Thanks for all the kind comments.

One of the best I've seen! Looks great.

Is there any concern of overheating, placing all that wood on the freezer?
I left an air gap between the cabinet and the freezer. Also this freezer has an external condenser coil so I dont think heat will be a problem.

keezer066.jpg

Love the Keezer..

...it's been a couple of years now - how's it working?

I'm planning to do one very similar to yours - as you know, there aren't many out there like yours.

Can you tell me how you did the top - did you use your original lid or did you create a new one from wood and use insulation?

Would you do anything different now that you've had it for a couple of years?

Thanks Much
Maj_Chunks

I like to put my sensor in a thermowell in a two liter coke bottle filled with water. It should greatly prolong the life of your compressor and stop large temperature fluctuations.

Hi

You actually will do better with a sensor taped to the wall of the freezer. That assumes you can set the controller to an appropriate cut in / cut out. If it's one you can't set, it's likely already set up for "tape to the wall".

I know this sound like you are not controlling things as well. Think of it as controlling the temperature before it gets to the keg.

Bob

Back