64 0z Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a bunch of posts where people ask about bottling in 64 oz growlers with screwcaps from breweries. I have a few of these (one with a metal cap and one with plastic). The other threads never talk about anyone's final result, so I was wondering if anyone tried this successfully.

Went to Blue Point brewery this weekend. Local place out on long island. If anyone can get their hands on it I reccommend the Toasted Lager

I don't see how you could be successful with the plastic screwcaps; at least the ones I've seen just have a waxy paper liner inside. The growlers with the swingtop lids (similar to Grolsch) should be fine.

I have a neighbor who bottles in 2L soda bottles with great success which seems like a cheaper and more robust (to droppage) solution than growlers to me, though possibly not as aesthetically pleasing.

I used to bottle growlers with the metal caps. It worked ok, but I wasted a lot of beer because it seemed like the sediment in the bottom would get stirred up worse than a normal bottle when pouring.

I've only used them for transportation & they just don't hold carbonation for more than a few days.

Back