Brewed my first partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I brewed up an Irish Red today. I was shooting for 1.060 OG. I didn't realize before I began that this would require me sparging nearly 9 gallons to hit. No worries, I drew off 7.5 gallons, brewed what I hope will be a tasty Red Ale and took my leftover runoff to make something else. I had about 2 gallons at 1.015 so I added 1.5 gallons of water, 1.5 lbs of dried pilsener extract and 6 oz of honey. I also added hops; cluster to bitter and .5 oz Saaz for aroma. My OG was 1.032. I think after I have some alcohol production I will add some more honey direct to see if the bacteria will harm the beer or if this environment is hostile enough to bacteria to allow a direct addition of honey. If all goes well this will be a great junk beer. Oh yeah! I pitched Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast.

There is no bacterium in the honey. Honey can easily be added in the fermenter and that is how it is usually suggested. The high sugar content of the honey prevents any organisms from surviving in it. In addition honey has some delicate flavors and aromas from the nectar that is quickly lost or atleast changed by heating. So don't worry about your honey additions.

Craig

Back