Hi from (Far)Northern California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCab

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi and to hopefully make some connections locally. There is nobody selling brewing supplies in my area anymore so I have no idea where to get supplies, grains, hops, etc. Well I'll be reading all of the post on how to brew because I always over-research something before I begin. There are some great discussions and I have already learned a ton.

Welcome, How far North are you? I'm due East of Chico about 30 miles out in the foothills. I go to the Chico Homebrew Shop for my ingredients, but I do all my Grocery Shopping and stuff in Chico, so it's no biggie to take the 40 Min trip down there. It seems that most people get their stuff online from either Midwest,Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew, but there are plenty of others to choose from.

Not that far north gwood, I live in Redding.

YHB: I saw the ad for Chico Homebrew in the phone book but didn't want to drive an hour to buy the supplies needed to get started. I would however, like to get something fermenting this weekend because I have to go back to work next week. Do you recommend the drive?

Not that far north gwood, I live in Redding.

YHB: I saw the ad for Chico Homebrew in the phone book but didn't want to drive an hour to buy the supplies needed to get started. I would however, like to get something fermenting this weekend because I have to go back to work next week. Do you recommend the drive?

Absolutely. Dawn is the owner of the Chico Hombrew Shop and is very knowledgable and friendly. It helps to know what you want before you get there, but if you have questions she'll have the answers. She's been at this for a while and will point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum. Did you know about the new "Brewing club" we have put together here in Redding? There are 25 people on the e-mail list right now. If your just getting started, we can help. If you are in need of supplies, we can help. Give me a call. My # is in your PM box.
Cheers
JJ

Alright then I'm heading out. Because I love Lost Coast Brewery beer, I want to simulate the flavor of Great White and/or Downtown Brown.

JJ...definitely interested in joining and getting some help. PM box? When I find it I’ll give you a call. BTW, do you know the owner of Wine Time? I went out there yesterday looking for supplies and saw that they are out of business. I then went to That Kitchen Place and was told that he is still operating out of his home but she did not now how to get a hold of him.

JJ...definitely interested in joining and getting some help. PM box? When I find it I’ll give you a call. BTW, do you know the owner of Wine Time? I went out there yesterday looking for supplies and saw that they are out of business. I then went to That Kitchen Place and was told that he is still operating out of his home but she did not now how to get a hold of him.

I do know Janet I just got an E-mail from her today. As far as PM box look at the upper right hand corner of this page it will say Welcome, JohnCab under that is your PM (Private Message)box.
Cheers
JJ

Well thanks to Jay and the California Brewing Company for the pointers and connections, I now have my first brew fermenting. It is a Premium Pilsner kit using White Labs Pilsner Lager yeast.

BTW I was given 8 oz. of dry malt extract to use in place of the sugar. I couldn't find anywhere that dry malt extract was stronger than sugar and the directions called for 2.2 lbs of sugar so I supplemented it with honey (about 2 pounds). If anyone can foresee a problem with this let me know so I can throw it out and get a proper batch brewing ASAP. I would hate to have to wait for a month before finding out that it didn’t work.

Thanks Jay

Well thanks to Jay and the California Brewing Company for the pointers and connections, I now have my first brew fermenting. It is a Premium Pilsner kit using White Labs Pilsner Lager yeast.

BTW I was given 8 oz. of dry malt extract to use in place of the sugar. I couldn't find anywhere that dry malt extract was stronger than sugar and the directions called for 2.2 lbs of sugar so I supplemented it with honey (about 2 pounds). If anyone can foresee a problem with this let me know so I can throw it out and get a proper batch brewing ASAP. I would hate to have to wait for a month before finding out that it didn’t work.

Thanks Jay

John that is KILLER way to jump in there and just go for it! I dont think you are going to have a problem w/ using honey. That is alot of honey though! And first rule in home brewing "NEVER DUMP IT OUT" just because you think you screwed something up.
I am brewing a 12 gallon All Grain batch on Sunday I am mashing in @ 10:00. I will serve a little lunch sometime in the day for the people coming over. If you would like to stop by feel free to give me a shout.
Great job
Cheers
JJ

I'll give a shout out, whatup Jaybird. I'll be there for the mash, I'll miss the samples and dogs, due to work.
JohnCab, startin off with a pilsner, nice job. The club meeting will be at Northstar Brewery on March 7th from 5-7pm. PM me for the details.
Nor-Cal Brewers unite.

I'll give a shout out, whatup Jaybird. I'll be there for the mash, I'll miss the samples and dogs, due to work.
JohnCab, startin off with a pilsner, nice job. The club meeting will be at Northstar Brewery on March 7th from 5-7pm. PM me for the details.
Nor-Cal Brewers unite.

SR
I thought the meeting started @ 4:00 4-5 It don't matter! were gonna be at a brewery!!!!! I have to work @ 7:00 PM so I won't be sampling but hay at least I will be there right?
Nor*Cal brewers? I like it. I will link you to my "name thread" we will see if someone suggested it?
Here it is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/nor-cal-home-brew-club-help-w-name-98421/

Hay I saw your water report... LEAD???? WTF is that all about

I told you guys to stop making fun of me, drink lead all day and see if you ask a stupid question or two.

:cross: more beer for me.

LOL I'll still drink your beer! You are bringing beer tomorrow arn't you?????????????????????????????????????????? Just because YOU cant drink dosen't mean there isn't going to be drinking!!!!!!!!
I will see you in the AM. Oh and John, Dont get tooooo trashed tonight :drunk:
Cheers
JJ

i'm from a little further north in dunsmuir ca. we have a 2 year old micro in town that is worht the drive from redding. for good food and great beer. i am just gathering the needed stuff for the all grain jump,and kegging.

Nothing like resurrecting a 3 year old thread....
Ohhh yeah I love DBW beers, and Aaron Is a real cool cat! always with open arms and willing to share his knowledge!
Redding is going to have a brewery here soon as well.....:D

Back